Topics

SP Transfer Caboose; was Fixing Shifted Loads

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Brian,

Of even more importance, you got a photo of a rare SP transfer caboose. I don't have Tony's SP caboose book, so maybe he could comment more on this car and others, especially if any were in use during our period of interest. The only one I knew of was SP 1, a car with a slightly larger cabin, that served in the Roseville Yard near the end of caboose operations.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/24/2019 12:43 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Here are two views of Southern Pacific's "load shifter" at their Taylor Yard in Los Angeles , July 1966.  Not good photos, but I was only 15 with a plastic camera.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Tim O'Connor

There were not many, but they did exist.

On 10/24/2019 2:02 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
Brian,

Of even more importance, you got a photo of a rare SP transfer caboose. I don't have Tony's SP caboose book, so maybe he could comment more on this car and others, especially if any were in use during our period of interest. The only one I knew of was SP 1, a car with a slightly larger cabin, that served in the Roseville Yard near the end of caboose operations.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/24/2019 12:43 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Here are two views of Southern Pacific's "load shifter" at their Taylor Yard in Los Angeles , July 1966.  Not good photos, but I was only 15 with a plastic camera.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

brianleppert@att.net

Garth, here's some more I photographed in Taylor Yard.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Brian,

Very interesting photos. Between us, five SP transfer cabooses, and all different. That's way cool.

While these beasties were more common in the East, I have only seen two more in the Left Coast -- Alameda Belt Line had one that looked like an outhouse on a raft (a steam-era car, AFAIK), and more recently the Yolo Shortline had an ex-MKT car of fairly modern lines.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/24/2019 3:43 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Garth, here's some more I photographed in Taylor Yard.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Tony Thompson

There were a bunch of them, covered in the book.
Tony Thompson

On Oct 24, 2019, at 1:03 PM, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

 Brian,

Of even more importance, you got a photo of a rare SP transfer caboose. I don't have Tony's SP caboose book, so maybe he could comment more on this car and others, especially if any were in use during our period of interest. The only one I knew of was SP 1, a car with a slightly larger cabin, that served in the Roseville Yard near the end of caboose operations.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/24/2019 12:43 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Here are two views of Southern Pacific's "load shifter" at their Taylor Yard in Los Angeles , July 1966.  Not good photos, but I was only 15 with a plastic camera.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

<SOUTHERN PACIFIC CABOOSE 1, ROSEVILLE-HD1C.jpg>