Topics

SP Transfer Caboose; was Fixing Shifted Loads

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Brian,

Of even more importance, you got a photo of a rare SP transfer caboose. I don't have Tony's SP caboose book, so maybe he could comment more on this car and others, especially if any were in use during our period of interest. The only one I knew of was SP 1, a car with a slightly larger cabin, that served in the Roseville Yard near the end of caboose operations.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/24/2019 12:43 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Here are two views of Southern Pacific's "load shifter" at their Taylor Yard in Los Angeles , July 1966.  Not good photos, but I was only 15 with a plastic camera.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Tim O'Connor

There were not many, but they did exist.

On 10/24/2019 2:02 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
Brian,

Of even more importance, you got a photo of a rare SP transfer caboose. I don't have Tony's SP caboose book, so maybe he could comment more on this car and others, especially if any were in use during our period of interest. The only one I knew of was SP 1, a car with a slightly larger cabin, that served in the Roseville Yard near the end of caboose operations.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Here are two views of Southern Pacific's "load shifter" at their Taylor Yard in Los Angeles , July 1966.  Not good photos, but I was only 15 with a plastic camera.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

brianleppert@att.net

Garth, here's some more I photographed in Taylor Yard.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Brian,

Very interesting photos. Between us, five SP transfer cabooses, and all different. That's way cool.

While these beasties were more common in the East, I have only seen two more in the Left Coast -- Alameda Belt Line had one that looked like an outhouse on a raft (a steam-era car, AFAIK), and more recently the Yolo Shortline had an ex-MKT car of fairly modern lines.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/24/2019 3:43 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Garth, here's some more I photographed in Taylor Yard.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Tony Thompson

There were a bunch of them, covered in the book.
Tony Thompson 

On Oct 24, 2019, at 1:03 PM, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

Brian,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

<SOUTHERN PACIFIC CABOOSE 1, ROSEVILLE-HD1C.jpg>