Speedwitch p105_uframe2 Wanted and Evens Loader Chain Tubes

Ken Adams

Does anyone have a Speedwitch p105_uframe2 they would be willing to sell or otherwise part with....

I am in the process of repainting and re-lettering a Trix UP A50-19 to a correct A-50-16. I have found that I need to rebuild the floor and underframe. The Trix underframe, while very nice,  was molded as the reverse image. If the photos of the Speedwitch p105_uframe2 are correct, then the lateral supports are also incorrect. The detail AB parts were very nicely molded but fit the piping fits the reverse image of the brake system.

I have just discovered the drawings for the 1930's Evens Loader including the chain tubes on the Resin Freight Car Builders photos section. The tubes were 18 to 28 inches in length and angled if they needed to avoid brake gear and rigging.  I know from UP records the A-50-16 had 12 of these tubes protruding from the floor in the 1940's and early 50's.  The tubes were 5 inches OD.  Evergreen #222 1/16 or 1.6 mm rod could approximate the tubes which do not need to be hollow on a model.

Does anyone have a good picture or diagram of the tube placement for the A-50-16?
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude

Allan Smith

The attached photo may help.

Al Smith

On Friday, June 3, 2022, 04:36:41 PM PDT, Ken Adams <smadanek44g@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Al,

In my research the last couple of days I came across a good picture of the cylinder installation in an PRR X31 and a diagram or the loader and cylinder.

https://www.rrmagazineindex.org/ can be very useful.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Location: About half way up Walnut Creek

WILLIAM PARDIE

The X 31s have six tubes located at the center of the cars.  Is that the trainline that snakes around
the tubes?  The line in the photo seems to be a wrapped pipe.

I ask because I have an. X 31 that I s finished save for the installation of the rubes.

Bill Pardie

In my research the last couple of days I came across a good picture of the cylinder installation in an PRR X31 and a diagram or the loader and cylinder.

https://www.rrmagazineindex.org/ can be very useful.
--
Ken Adams
Omicron BA2.2 may come and go but I still live mostly in splendid Shelter In Place solitude
Location: About half way up Walnut Creek

Bruce Smith

Bill,

Yes that is the trainline.

With repsect to the number of tubes, no, not exactly. The X31s (no subclass) and X31F had 4 tubes in the center of the car and 2 at each end. The X31C had 6 tubes in the center of the car, and 2 at each end. I modeled the difference 😉

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL