Topics

Square brake staffs

radiodial868

Which reminds me, I recall someone found a source for square brake wheel shaft material. Search of the archives has lots of results, but none specifically relevant. Anyone know of a practical source? This is one detail I'd like to start adding were applicable.
Thx,
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

John Monrad

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 11:37 AM radiodial868 <radiodial@...> wrote:
Which reminds me, I recall someone found a source for square brake wheel shaft material. Search of the archives has lots of results, but none specifically relevant. Anyone know of a practical source? This is one detail I'd like to start adding were applicable.
Thx,
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA

Bill Welch

I don't remember what options there were when I ordered my 100-foot reel of .4mm x .4mm that is .019" x .019" from Kidney Puncher. The wire is steel and comes off the reel pretty straight and it is easy to get it completely straight. I often show up at RPM's with my reel and cutters and give lengths away to friends.

Bill Welch

npin53

If you need shorter pieces, the leads on LED's are square. Like the type once sold at Radio Shack.

Aaron Gjermundson

Jon Miller

On 11/9/2019 10:03 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
The wire is steel

I think it says the wire is Nichrome!  [Genuine Sandvik Nichrome 80 !!]

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Gene Deimling

Consider purchasing a “draw plate” from a jewelry supply. You can make your own square stock.

Gene Deimling

gtws00

I needed some square stock for the FGEX Reefer Mini-Kit and had lost my gifted square stock I received from Bill Welch. So i decided to try and make my own from some brass rod.
I began by taping some Green Frog Making Tape sticky side up on a flat plate and placing some .030 brass rod on it. I filed one side flat removing around .007 . Next I rotated the rod 180 degrees and placed the rod with the flat side don on the tape and files about another .007 from the second side. I next rotated the rod 90 degrees and placed some stryene strips next to the filed flat sides and filed the 3rd side flat. Rotate one last time and file the 4th side.
I ended up with some .015 square brass stock. Next time I will try not to loose the stock Bill gave me
See attached pdf from my clinic on how I did this if you want to give it a try.

Gene's suggestion of a draw plate is a good one as well

George Toman

Matt Smith

Has anyone looked into square wire that bead and jewelry makers use? I see it comes in stainless and various gauges close to .015. Its appears to be available at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.
--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Sam Reynolds

I checked the Micheals and Hobby Lobby websites, and they both carry Beadalon square German style artistic wire. Michaels carries 20 and 22 gauge silver plated, copper/brass core wire. Hobby Lobby carries the 20 gauge wire. Per the Beadalon website (http://www.beadalon.com/) the 20 gauge wire measures 0.032 inch and the 22 gauge wire measures 0.025 inch. I checked the Beadalon website for the line of artistic wire they produce, and their 24 gauge square wire measures 0.020 inch. A package of 10 meters of their square, 24 gauge Stainless Steel Wrapping Wire cost $7.49. They also list packages of 4 meter lengths of their square, 24 gauge German style wire in antique brass, tarnish resistant brass, and silver plated for $7.49. I'd be interested in hearing from others on the list whether the 24 gauge wire is still too big for making the square brake shafts, especially given the length of square wire that would be used.

Sam Reynolds

radiodial868

I checked my large supply of LEDs. Would work for a flat car. The longest leads are still waaay too short for a boxcar.
I also had bought some of that .024 Nickel Silver beading wire wrap awhile back, but it scaled out to 2.5" across the flats, but more importantly when I installed in place with a brake wheel and mechanism, it looked very out of scale and toylike.  I may have picture of it still, will look.
RJ Dial