From: Eric Hansmann <eric@...>
Date: 7/18/21 3:10 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io, ResinFreightCarBuilders@groups.io, Proto-Layouts@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Square corner boxcar group build

Jerry Hamsmith has shared photos and details of four modelers building the same Resin Car Works Illinois Central boxcar kit in the latest RCW blog post.

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

Todd Horton

The article mentions "modified AAR lettering guidelines". When did this take place?

Todd Horton

On Sunday, July 18, 2021, 09:10:56 AM EDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Jerry Hamsmith has shared photos and details of four modelers building the same Resin Car Works Illinois Central boxcar kit in the latest RCW blog post.

Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy

Scott

Bill,  I believe those are the new etched ladders from Plano that came in the kit.

I will say that is some excellent modeling on everybody's part and thanks for sharing it.   I really liked the hangers for the brake rods as those add a lot of visual interest.  I never thought to use some phosphor bronze wire and a Tichy turnbuckle for the brake cylinder rod.  I will have to give that a try.

Scott McDonald

Guy Wilber

Todd wrote:

"The article mentions "modified AAR lettering guidelines". When did this take place?"

Todd,

I would guess that they are referring to the AAR's Mechanical Division dropping the 1" bars (above and below) the reporting marks.  If so, the change became effective on March 1, 1957.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

_._,_._,_

Todd Horton

Guy, thanks for that information. I seem to recall reading about that somewhere but I couldn't remember when it went into effect.

Todd Horton

On Monday, July 19, 2021, 03:06:53 PM EDT, Guy Wilber via groups.io <guycwilber@...> wrote:

Todd wrote:

"The article mentions "modified AAR lettering guidelines". When did this take place?"

Todd,

I would guess that they are referring to the AAR's Mechanical Division dropping the 1" bars (above and below) the reporting marks.  If so, the change became effective on March 1, 1957.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Tony Thompson

Guy Wilber wrote:

I would guess that they are referring to the AAR's Mechanical Division dropping the 1" bars (above and below) the reporting marks.  If so, the change became effective on March 1, 1957.

This data is well documented. But there is an SP lettering drawing, with a note for the removal of the bars in late 1952, noted as “recommendation discontinued.” Both SP and PFE dropped the bars soon after. I confess I don’t know what that’s about.

Tony Thompson