Topics

SRFD reefers with ventilator hoods

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

A little while back we were discussing SRFD reefers with ventilator hoods - I think these were called Bohn ventilators. There is a 1938 image showing a partial view of a car so equipped at the link below...

A higher resolution copy is available at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Jon Miller

On 10/3/2019 6:19 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
A little while back we were discussing SRFD reefers with ventilator hoods

    I've always wanted to have a car with those on.  However I've been told noway in 1941.  I really wish we could get a car number for that one, at least a 38 picture would be an interesting argument.  The parts are available from Westerfield.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

tyesac@aol.com

Jon,

If I'm not mistaken, you could plausibly have a Bohn ventilator car in ice service for that time frame.  There is a chart in the SFRD reefer book that graphically shows the range of in service populations by car class.   I know there has been a picture posted of one of those remaining car bodies still in existence as a farm shed with intact ventilators that has been posted here.   That would support the idea that once transferred from produce service to company ice service the ventilators weren't always removed.

Tom Casey

On 10/3/2019 7:31 AM, tyesac@... via Groups.Io wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, you could plausibly have a Bohn ventilator car in ice service for that time frame.

Tom,

    That's a good idea.  Haven't thought about ice service.  Will try and keep that in mind (what's left of it)!

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Good Friends,

This photo was taken on the D&LW's 25th Street/South Brooklyn Terminal, one of a number of vest-pocket operations served by car float The tiny yard featured a huge coal transfer operated by Premium Coal Co., which can be seen behind boxcar diesel 3001. There was also a poultry transfer facility, a freight shed, team tracks, and apparently some warehouses. These tiny New York terminals would make great model railroads, and one could come close to duplicating them in their entirety.

For more on the South Brooklyn Terminal, see http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/dlw25.html#INDEX .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/3/2019 9:19 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:
Hi List Members,

A little while back we were discussing SRFD reefers with ventilator hoods - I think these were called Bohn ventilators. There is a 1938 image showing a partial view of a car so equipped at the link below...

A higher resolution copy is available at the link below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Jon Miller

On 10/3/2019 9:49 AM, Garth Groff wrote:
The tiny yard featured

    Need for a reefer?  I would assume the ATSF reefer was captured for some reason.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bill Welch

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 12:52 PM, Jon Miller wrote:
On 10/3/2019 9:49 AM, Garth Groff wrote:
The tiny yard featured

    Need for a reefer?  I would assume the ATSF reefer was captured for some reason.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS
OTOH, maybe it had been delivering perishables.

Bill Welch