St. Louis Refrigerator Car Co. models

Lester Breuer

From an estate being disposed of at a local flea market I purchased the Reefer of which photo is attached.
With hatches the number is incorrect as it should be numbered in the class RS series.
A correct class RB , no ice bunkers, a Sunshine Models kit is shown on Tony Thompson’s blog.  After an internet search
I could not find any model of the St. Louis Reefer numbered correctly in the RS series.  All manufacture models I found had a class RB number
on a CAR WITH HATCHES.  Wondering if I missed finding a correct lettered St. Louis Reefer model with a number in the RS series?
Lester Breuer

Tim O'Connor

Lester

I'm not sure what you are asking, but that model is a foobie. I have many images of SLRX
cars on my hard drive, and none of them is an ice reefer. Like MRS cars, they had a fleet
of insulated bunkerless refrigerators (RB).

Tim

On 7/26/2021 8:54 AM, Lester Breuer wrote:
From an estate being disposed of at a local flea market I purchased the Reefer of which photo is attached.
With hatches the number is incorrect as it should be numbered in the class RS series.
A correct class RB , no ice bunkers, a Sunshine Models kit is shown on Tony Thompson’s blog.  After an internet search
I could not find any model of the St. Louis Reefer numbered correctly in the RS series.  All manufacture models I found had a class RB number
on a CAR WITH HATCHES.  Wondering if I missed finding a correct lettered St. Louis Reefer model with a number in the RS series?
Lester Breuer

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ed Hawkins

On Jul 26, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

From an estate being disposed of at a local flea market I purchased the Reefer of which photo is attached.
With hatches the number is incorrect as it should be numbered in the class RS series.
A correct class RB , no ice bunkers, a Sunshine Models kit is shown on Tony Thompson’s blog.  After an internet search
I could not find any model of the St. Louis Reefer numbered correctly in the RS series.  All manufacture models I found had a class RB number
on a CAR WITH HATCHES.  Wondering if I missed finding a correct lettered St. Louis Reefer model with a number in the RS series?
Lester Breuer

Lester,
The only St. Louis Refrigerator Car RS reefers that I’m aware of were SLRX 10000-10399, built in 1922 by MDT with a lease arrangement from late 1949 to 1954. The Roger Hinman class number is “M4.”

In 1/50 & 1/51, the ORER listed 200 cars; 4/51 & 1/52 listed 400 cars; 1/53 listed 365 cars; 1/54 listed 57 cars; by 10/54 zero cars.

Arnold Menke offers photos of 10086 & 10360 photographed 4/50 & 3/51, respectively.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Edward

Having hatches on an insulated car does not necessarily mean it's a refrigerator car.
Insulated / ventilated box cars of the 1920's to 30's looked like refrigerator cars but were not.
They sometimes had the word "Ventilator" on them  because of their similarity to a refrigerator car.
Also, they looked different from the A.A.R. Cass V non-insulated ventilator box cars (think ACL's 'watermelon' car).
So what might be the  A.A.R. class for them?

Ed Bommer

Tim O'Connor

I should have checked my hard drive more carefully... I did have an image of an SLRX reefer. :-[

Tim O'Connor

On 7/26/2021 10:49 AM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Jul 26, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

From an estate being disposed of at a local flea market I purchased the Reefer of which photo is attached.
[...]

Is that an actual reefer (with ice bunkers) or just a plug door bunkerless insulated box car? I see no evidence of hatches on these cars with plug doors, and I have many more similar photos. Even the ancient 6114 is bunkerless.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 2:19 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] St. Louis Refrigerator Car Co. models

I should have checked my hard drive more carefully... I did have an image of an SLRX reefer. :-[

Tim O'Connor

On 7/26/2021 10:49 AM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Jul 26, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

From an estate being disposed of at a local flea market I purchased the Reefer of which photo is attached.
[...]

OOPS! Should have read the original posts better. My bad.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 2:19 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

I should have checked my hard drive more carefully... I did have an image of an SLRX reefer. :-[

Tim O'Connor

On 7/26/2021 10:49 AM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Jul 26, 2021, at 7:54 AM, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

From an estate being disposed of at a local flea market I purchased the Reefer of which photo is attached.
[...]

Tim SLRX Reefer is in the number series, 10000-10399 Ed  Hawkins mentions in his post.  And I was attempting to
ask  if anyone knew of a model produced by any manufacturer done in this number series.
Lester Breuer

Lester Breuer

As for St. Louis Refrigerator Car Company, class RS, series 10000-10399, a photo of SLRX 10086 with clearly visible  ice hatches is in Ted Culotta’s book Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual Volume Three Refrigerator Cars, Page 202.
Lester Breuer

Gene Deimling

Jim Zwernemann built this 1/4” scale model of the older truss rod series.  He used styrene as his primary material.  Jim attempted to use the Tichy decal set but ended taking a different route.

Gene Deimling

Richard Townsend

Well, mostly no. Train Miniature did a version of a SLRX reefer with ice bunkers but I have no idea how close it might be dimensionally and detail-wise to the prototype cars (at least it's wood-sided and has ice hatches on the roof). The one in my reefer collection display cabinet is numbered 3192, so that's clearly wrong for these cars.

A long time ago I reworked a Train Miniature reefer that was decorated for Brookside Creamery in a "save the paint" effort. It involved removing the ice hatches and fixing the roof, replacing the running board, adding new ladders and grab irons, replacing the underframe and adding express trucks, and adding passenger brake components and steam and signal lines. It is possible to make a passable model from a Train Miniature car, but it may not be worth the effort depending on your standards.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR