St Louis Refrigerator Car Co

Charlie Duckworth

Since Tichy’s decals are so thick I’d like to see if I can pull enough images together to make a nice thin decal set to do the 40’ bunkerless wood reefer.  What prompted this is a shot of one on a RI freight in Missouri.   Anyone have good images of the wood cars they can send me?  Here’s the one poor image I have.

Thanks

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Thanks for all the replies and images.  Lester Brewer upgraded a pre painted Accurail reefer that was done for a NMRA convention as one of his blogs.  Am thinking that’s a logical choice for a decal set.  SLRX also had bunkerless 36’ (or 34’?) reefers.  Is there a close model that could be converted to one of these cars as well?

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Douglas Harding

Charlie years ago I used the 36' MDC reefer and I think Clover House dry transfers https://cloverhouse.com/Cart/product_info.php?products_id=10176
Not a hi detailed model, but an op session good enough.

Doug Harding
Youtube: Douglas Harding Iowa Central Railroad

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:23 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and images.  Lester Brewer upgraded a pre painted Accurail reefer that was done for a NMRA convention as one of his blogs.  Am thinking that’s a logical choice for a decal set.  SLRX also had bunkerless 36’ (or 34’?) reefers.  Is there a close model that could be converted to one of these cars as well?

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Douglas Harding

20220514_201009.jpg20220514_201018.jpg

Charlie, I finally did some digging and found one of the SLRX cars I did almost 20 years ago, using a MDC reefer kit. Certainly not a detailed model, but at the time it was about the only option for a 36' car. As I was doing a string of Decker and Armour reefers at the time using Clover House dry transfers, I'm pretty sure the SLRX cars also have Clover House lettering.

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 8:45 AM Douglas Harding via groups.io <iowacentralrr=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Charlie years ago I used the 36' MDC reefer and I think Clover House dry transfers https://cloverhouse.com/Cart/product_info.php?products_id=10176
Not a hi detailed model, but an op session good enough.

Doug Harding
Youtube: Douglas Harding Iowa Central Railroad

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 6:23 AM Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and images.  Lester Brewer upgraded a pre painted Accurail reefer that was done for a NMRA convention as one of his blogs.  Am thinking that’s a logical choice for a decal set.  SLRX also had bunkerless 36’ (or 34’?) reefers.  Is there a close model that could be converted to one of these cars as well?

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Doug
Thanks, I didn’t know they also had truss rod reefers.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

gary laakso

Sunshine offered two versions:one with truss rods and one without.  They were UN kits to build.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

On May 14, 2022, at 4:23 AM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and images.  Lester Brewer upgraded a pre painted Accurail reefer that was done for a NMRA convention as one of his blogs.  Am thinking that’s a logical choice for a decal set.  SLRX also had bunkerless 36’ (or 34’?) reefers.  Is there a close model that could be converted to one of these cars as well?

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

Anyone have any prototype images of the St Louis Refrigerator Cars with truss rods and know how long they lasted in service?   I’ve recently bought a spool of fishing line to do a WFEX car and have 700’ of line to use up.

Thanks

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

pennsylvania1954

Boxcar end on the left will help date the photo.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Joe Pauley

Heres a few more

Tim O'Connor

It's a postwar reefer on the left, but yeah, it's after 1945.

On 5/15/2022 9:09 PM, pennsylvania1954 wrote:
Boxcar end on the left will help date the photo.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Attachments: