Topics

Stakes For Lumber Loads: Hardwood Vs. Softwood

Bob Chaparro

Stakes For Lumber Loads: Hardwood Vs. Softwood

In the Owl Mountain Models video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LngArG22gU ) on assembling their lumber load kit the narrator states (at 12:30 into the video) that vertical stakes used to restrain the load were hardwood.

It seems to me that the vertical stakes more likely would be the same wood as the load and stakes would originate from the same forest area near the mill.

I've looked at a number of prototype lumber loads and sometimes the stakes appear to match the load and sometimes they don't.

And, of course, sometimes the stakes are made from tree saplings.

The AAR's "Rules Governing the Loading of Forest Products On Open Top Cars" specifies "Stakes, hardwood, southern pine, long leaf pine, fir, spruce, larch or hemlock...or green saplings..."

Does anyone have more insight into this? Were softwood shipments usually restrained with hardwood vertical stakes?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 11:00 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
The AAR's "Rules Governing the Loading of Forest Products On Open Top Cars" specifies "Stakes, hardwood, southern pine, long leaf pine, fir, spruce, larch or hemlock...or green saplings..."
I think you just answered your own question, since every species on that list other than "hardwood" is considered a softwood.

Dennis Storzek

Bob Chaparro

True, but I'm looking for industry practice rather than just what is allowed.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bob,

Since hardwood has usually been more valuable/expensive than softwoods, I would assume that hardwood stakes (of oak, for example) wouldn't be used unless there was a need for high strength stakes.  Most lumber mills use whatever is readily available, which is usually what they are sawing.  I've seen saplings used, but mostly in modern times.  It costs money to to cut and plane wood for a stake, so 'why bother?' seems to be the mantra of modern cost accountants.  My recollection is that all of the stakes I saw while in the PacNW 1957-1962 were rough sawn softwoods.

Todd Sullivan
in Rowlett, TX