Stamped car numbers?

George Eichelberger

Does anyone know if the Southern used metal dies to stamp a car’s road number on its center sill?

The question is to try to determine a car’s original number so it can be painted and numbered correctly.

Ike

Philip Dove

Even if the number was stamped on the underframe, there was the risk that major components could be taken off one car to repair another as they got older. Back in 2000 I discovered a derelict ex USATC standard 0-6-0 switcher. Really keen types with me, crawled under and around the engine looking for such die stamps to establish its works number and maker. The engine was made from parts of three engines, from both Porter and Vulcan