Topics

Standard Car Co.??

Dave Lawler

Good day all,
I recently read a James Six blog on weathering where he showed an example of a door and a half conversion on an Accurail SS box car.
The company he mentioned that made the add-on half door was Standard Car Co., Wells River, VT and that they were available from Walthers.
Walthers does not list this manufacturer in their current catalog so I tried to find them through a Google search but no luck. I'd like to buy some of
these doors. Does anyone in this group know if they're still in business and how to reach them? Or does another company offer this kind of half door?
Dave Lawler

Benjamin Hom

Dave Lawler asked:
"I recently read a James Six blog on weathering where he showed an example of a door and a half conversion on an Accurail SS box car.
The company he mentioned that made the add-on half door was Standard Car Co., Wells River, VT and that they were available from Walthers. Walthers does not list this manufacturer in their current catalog so I tried to find them through a Google search but no luck. I'd like to buy some of these doors. Does anyone in this group know if they're still in business and how to reach them? Or does another company offer this kind of half door?"

Standard Car Co. is one of Don Valentine's brands.  He's on the list and should pipe up regarding availability.

Ben Hom

Douglas Harding

Dave that would be New England Rail Service / Standard Car Co. Owner is Don Valentine, a member of this group, who just posted a few days ago. He would be your best source of information.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

I recently read a James Six blog on weathering where he showed an example of a door and a half conversion on an Accurail SS box car.
The company he mentioned that made the add-on half door was Standard Car Co., Wells River, VT and that they were available from Walthers.
Walthers does not list this manufacturer in their current catalog so I tried to find them through a Google search but no luck. I'd like to buy some of
these doors. Does anyone in this group know if they're still in business and how to reach them? Or does another company offer this kind of half door?
Dave Lawler

Dave Lawler

Ben/Doug, Thank you for the info. I've looked around on line to try to find New England Rail Serv. but no luck so far.
I hope Don Valentine reads these messages.
Thanks again,
Dave Lawler

Bill Welch

IIRC the minimum order is $30 so you may need to recruit some people to fill out your order. This is fun and easy build to get to a GTW car. Richard Hendrickson had an article in RMJ on building one of the cars using a homemade half door before the little kit was available. Black Cat has the correct decal set.

You might check with Des Plaines to see if they have this conversion kit in stock.

Bill Welch

Donald B. Valentine

Bill Welch wrote:

    "IRC the minimum order is $30 so you may need to recruit some people to fill out your order. This is fun and easy build to get to a GTW car. Richard Hendrickson had an article in RMJ on building one of the cars using a homemade half door before the little kit was available. Black Cat has the correct decal set."

    Or he can just write to me OFF LIST and tell me what he needs. The #1000 1/2 Door Add-On kit is $5.95 but if I know what is
needed from it and what is not I can bulk pack some at a savings for folks as is being done for Jim Six. Just don't expect them
by return mail because, though I don't know what caused it, I'm up to my ears trying to pack orders lately and still maintain a day job.

Cordially, Don Valentine
              New England Rail Service, Inc. of which Standard Car Co. is a division of for freight car parts, or is the fright car.

Bill Welch

This little kit is very clever. It includes two versions of the half door, one with the metal brace to match position of the brace on the Accrual door. The second door version has the brace in the correct version for the GTW car which requires removing the brace of the Accrual door and replacing the brace with one that is in the kit. Also included are the correct triangular gusset plates—see Richard's article for prototype photo—and small door hardware parts. Tooling is very fine.

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

I agree with Bill, It makes an interesting car and Bill is also correct with the Black Cat decals.  I did this a few years ago.

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Dave Lawler

Thank you to everyone who aimed me in the right direction for Standard Car Co.
I've been in contact with Don Valentine and sent an order for some half door
conversion kits this morning.
Fenton that is a great looking GTW car.
Best regards,
Dave Lawler