Topics

Steam Era Spray trains

csxt5555

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Christopher J. Palermo

A few years ago Classic Trains Magazine printed a 1951 image taken near Palo Alto, CA of an SP Consolidation pushing a D.T. Cox Co. weed-control train. The caption noted that the train was headed by an old Harriman coach, with controls to regulate the flow and direction of chemicals drawing from four tank cars that were following. Others have observed that more likely, the chemicals were in tanks mounted inside the Harriman coach, and the tank cars carried water to dilute the mix. The caption also noted that per SP rules at the time, both the coach and locomotive carried train-indicator boxes denoting an eXtra train.

An SP weed control car is depicted here. I believe this is the same car as in the Classic Trains image, in later years. The metal structure on the roof held an elongated sign that ran along the top of the coach stating WEED CONTROL D.T. Cox, probably to inform nervous folks living or walking near the line.

gastro42000 <martincooper@...>

Hi: the GNRHS had a reference sheet on a spray tank ( even an resin ho model, no longer available). I can’t remember the number,but you can go thru the list. Marty Cooper

On 07/20/2020 1:38 PM csxt5555 via groups.io <csxt5555=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Douglas Harding

The M&StL converted a gas electric, GE-25, to weed spray duty in the late 50s. They added a control booth in the rear of the body with extra windows, spray arms, etc. The unit towed one or two tankcars. It was destroyed by fire in 1963. North American created a weed sprayer in the late 50s, which ran on several roads in the mid-west.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4703492
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=771461

Fairmont Railway Motor Co (the speeder outfit) made weed sprayers, as well as weed burners and weed mowers. Fairmont purchased a weed mower in 1938, the Rawls Company. Their first weed burner was in the mid 40s, which took on a new duty during nasty winter in Chicago when the burner was used to "de-ice" switches in the yard. Their first weed sprayer was the late 40s. Though the little single piston engine was first developed in 1907 for ag use, including to power orchard sprayers.

I don't believe sprayers came into widespread use until weed killing chemicals known as herbicides were developed. 2, 4-D came about in WWII, and was made available after the war, but it did not kill grasses, just broad leaf plants. The next major development in weed control was atrazine in the mid-50s.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Don Burn

On weed burners, I believe they were around before the 1940's. See https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174608/ for a patent from the 1800's for a railroad weed burner. I am trying to find the exact reference but I have a memory of interurban weed burners, that I believe were pre-WWII.

Don Burn

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Charlie Vlk

Doug and All-
The image is too dark to see for sure, but is that a six-wheel truck under the close end?
Charlie Vlk

The M&StL converted a gas electric, GE-25, to weed spray duty in the late 50s. They added a control booth in the rear of the body with extra windows, spray arms, etc. The unit towed one or two tankcars. It was destroyed by fire in 1963. North American created a weed sprayer in the late 50s, which ran on several roads in the mid-west.

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Don,

The Sacramento Northern burned off its weeds. They purchased three used water tank cars in 1937. Car 68, at least, was assigned to the weed burner crew to keep fires from getting out of hand. It was equipped with a gasoline-powered pump and had some sort of hose-and-nozzle arrangement in a box next to the dome. I do not know if they had some sort of weed burner car, or if this was done by hand. I have a copy P. Allan Copland's SN AFE list, and do not remember any listing of other cars assigned or rebuilt to weed burner service (1938 Will Whittaker photo attached, from my collection).

I've also attached a more recent photo of an SSI weed killer train on the CSX circa 1985 in Charlottesville. It is very similar to the NALCO car shown earlier in this thread. The control/pump car pushed a sort of skeleton flat car with the nozzles. It was followed by several tank cars. (My photo)

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Don Burn <burn@...> wrote:
On weed burners, I believe they were around before the 1940's.   See https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174608/ for a patent from the 1800's for a railroad weed burner.   I am trying to find the exact reference but I have a memory of interurban weed burners, that I believe were pre-WWII.

Don Burn

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Richard Wilkens

The Railway Engineering and Maintenance Cyclopedia for 1926 shows weed mowers, burners, and sprayers ranging from hand held to freight car size. A full page ad for herbicides for the The Reade Mfg. Co. is in the 1921 edition:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Maintenance_of_Way_Cyclopedia/lLApAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=reade+weed+killer&pg=PA786&printsec=frontcover

Rich Wilkens

gary laakso

I love the “decals” not setting well on the tank car!

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Douglas Harding

No, it is a standard two axle truck. Here is another photo of GE-25 in weed sprayer service. You can see the two wheels outlined by the shadows underneath. And a photo of GE-25 at the Cedar Lake shops, which clearly shows the spray arms, above the rear truck. The CRRM has a nice color image of this same shot at Cedar Lake by DLind, which clearly shows the truck frame, but they claim a copyright on it, so I can't post it here.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

The image is too dark to see for sure, but is that a six-wheel truck under the close end?
Charlie Vlk

The M&StL converted a gas electric, GE-25, to weed spray duty in the late 50s. They added a control booth in the rear of the body with extra windows, spray arms, etc. The unit towed one or two tankcars. It was destroyed by fire in 1963. North American created a weed sprayer in the late 50s, which ran on several roads in the mid-west.

Steve and Barb Hile

The first link to the Nalco train in Naperville provided some fun for us here as it shows the Loomis Street crossing nearly 60 years ago. The hose and garage visible on the right side are still there!

Steve Hile

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

mofwcaboose

Some of the earliest weed burners were built by the McKean Motor Car Company around 1906, I believe.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

On weed burners, I believe they were around before the 1940's.  See https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174608/ for a patent from the 1800's for a railroad weed burner.  I am trying to find the exact reference but I have a memory of interurban weed burners, that I believe were pre-WWII.

Don Burn

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

mofwcaboose

The Rock Island had a very similar car, 95270.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL