Topics

Steam Era Spray trains

csxt5555

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Christopher J. Palermo

A few years ago Classic Trains Magazine printed a 1951 image taken near Palo Alto, CA of an SP Consolidation pushing a D.T. Cox Co. weed-control train. The caption noted that the train was headed by an old Harriman coach, with controls to regulate the flow and direction of chemicals drawing from four tank cars that were following. Others have observed that more likely, the chemicals were in tanks mounted inside the Harriman coach, and the tank cars carried water to dilute the mix. The caption also noted that per SP rules at the time, both the coach and locomotive carried train-indicator boxes denoting an eXtra train.

An SP weed control car is depicted here. I believe this is the same car as in the Classic Trains image, in later years. The metal structure on the roof held an elongated sign that ran along the top of the coach stating WEED CONTROL D.T. Cox, probably to inform nervous folks living or walking near the line.

gastro42000 <martincooper@...>

Hi: the GNRHS had a reference sheet on a spray tank ( even an resin ho model, no longer available). I can’t remember the number,but you can go thru the list. Marty Cooper

On 07/20/2020 1:38 PM csxt5555 via groups.io <csxt5555=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Can someone point me to some information on weed spraying trains of the mid 50’s?

Thanks
Kevin

Douglas Harding

The M&StL converted a gas electric, GE-25, to weed spray duty in the late 50s. They added a control booth in the rear of the body with extra windows, spray arms, etc. The unit towed one or two tankcars. It was destroyed by fire in 1963. North American created a weed sprayer in the late 50s, which ran on several roads in the mid-west.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4703492
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=771461

Fairmont Railway Motor Co (the speeder outfit) made weed sprayers, as well as weed burners and weed mowers. Fairmont purchased a weed mower in 1938, the Rawls Company. Their first weed burner was in the mid 40s, which took on a new duty during nasty winter in Chicago when the burner was used to "de-ice" switches in the yard. Their first weed sprayer was the late 40s. Though the little single piston engine was first developed in 1907 for ag use, including to power orchard sprayers.

I don't believe sprayers came into widespread use until weed killing chemicals known as herbicides were developed. 2, 4-D came about in WWII, and was made available after the war, but it did not kill grasses, just broad leaf plants. The next major development in weed control was atrazine in the mid-50s.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of csxt5555 via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 12:39 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Steam Era Spray trains

Thanks
Kevin

Don Burn

On weed burners, I believe they were around before the 1940's. See https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174608/ for a patent from the 1800's for a railroad weed burner. I am trying to find the exact reference but I have a memory of interurban weed burners, that I believe were pre-WWII.

Don Burn

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Steam Era Spray trains

The M&StL converted a gas electric, GE-25, to weed spray duty in the late 50s. They added a control booth in the rear of the body with extra windows, spray arms, etc. The unit towed one or two tankcars. It was destroyed by fire in 1963. North American created a weed sprayer in the late 50s, which ran on several roads in the mid-west.

Fairmont Railway Motor Co (the speeder outfit) made weed sprayers, as well as weed burners and weed mowers. Fairmont purchased a weed mower in 1938, the Rawls Company. Their first weed burner was in the mid 40s, which took on a new duty during nasty winter in Chicago when the burner was used to "de-ice" switches in the yard. Their first weed sprayer was the late 40s. Though the little single piston engine was first developed in 1907 for ag use, including to power orchard sprayers.

I don't believe sprayers came into widespread use until weed killing chemicals known as herbicides were developed. 2, 4-D came about in WWII, and was made available after the war, but it did not kill grasses, just broad leaf plants. The next major development in weed control was atrazine in the mid-50s.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of csxt5555 via groups.io

Thanks
Kevin

Charlie Vlk

Doug and All-
The image is too dark to see for sure, but is that a six-wheel truck under the close end?
Charlie Vlk

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Don,

The Sacramento Northern burned off its weeds. They purchased three used water tank cars in 1937. Car 68, at least, was assigned to the weed burner crew to keep fires from getting out of hand. It was equipped with a gasoline-powered pump and had some sort of hose-and-nozzle arrangement in a box next to the dome. I do not know if they had some sort of weed burner car, or if this was done by hand. I have a copy P. Allan Copland's SN AFE list, and do not remember any listing of other cars assigned or rebuilt to weed burner service (1938 Will Whittaker photo attached, from my collection).

I've also attached a more recent photo of an SSI weed killer train on the CSX circa 1985 in Charlottesville. It is very similar to the NALCO car shown earlier in this thread. The control/pump car pushed a sort of skeleton flat car with the nozzles. It was followed by several tank cars. (My photo)

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Don Burn <burn@...> wrote:
On weed burners, I believe they were around before the 1940's.   See https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174608/ for a patent from the 1800's for a railroad weed burner.   I am trying to find the exact reference but I have a memory of interurban weed burners, that I believe were pre-WWII.

Don Burn

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Thanks
Kevin

Richard Wilkens

The Railway Engineering and Maintenance Cyclopedia for 1926 shows weed mowers, burners, and sprayers ranging from hand held to freight car size. A full page ad for herbicides for the The Reade Mfg. Co. is in the 1921 edition:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Maintenance_of_Way_Cyclopedia/lLApAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=reade+weed+killer&pg=PA786&printsec=frontcover

Rich Wilkens

gary laakso

I love the “decals” not setting well on the tank car! 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Garth Groff and Sally Sanford
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 11:11 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Don,

The Sacramento Northern burned off its weeds. They purchased three used water tank cars in 1937. Car 68, at least, was assigned to the weed burner crew to keep fires from getting out of hand. It was equipped with a gasoline-powered pump and had some sort of hose-and-nozzle arrangement in a box next to the dome. I do not know if they had some sort of weed burner car, or if this was done by hand. I have a copy P. Allan Copland's SN AFE list, and do not remember any listing of other cars assigned or rebuilt to weed burner service (1938 Will Whittaker photo attached, from my collection).

I've also attached a more recent photo of an SSI weed killer train on the CSX circa 1985 in Charlottesville. It is very similar to the NALCO car shown earlier in this thread. The control/pump car pushed a sort of skeleton flat car with the nozzles. It was followed by several tank cars. (My photo)

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Don Burn <burn@...> wrote:

On weed burners, I believe they were around before the 1940's.   See https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174608/ for a patent from the 1800's for a railroad weed burner.   I am trying to find the exact reference but I have a memory of interurban weed burners, that I believe were pre-WWII.

Don Burn

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Thanks
Kevin

Douglas Harding

No, it is a standard two axle truck. Here is another photo of GE-25 in weed sprayer service. You can see the two wheels outlined by the shadows underneath. And a photo of GE-25 at the Cedar Lake shops, which clearly shows the spray arms, above the rear truck. The CRRM has a nice color image of this same shot at Cedar Lake by DLind, which clearly shows the truck frame, but they claim a copyright on it, so I can't post it here.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:25 PM

Doug and All-
The image is too dark to see for sure, but is that a six-wheel truck under the close end?
Charlie Vlk

Steve and Barb Hile

The first link to the Nalco train in Naperville provided some fun for us here as it shows the Loomis Street crossing nearly 60 years ago. The hose and garage visible on the right side are still there!

Steve Hile

Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 10:29 AM

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Thanks
Kevin

mofwcaboose

Some of the earliest weed burners were built by the McKean Motor Car Company around 1906, I believe.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

Sent: Tue, Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

On weed burners, I believe they were around before the 1940's.  See https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth174608/ for a patent from the 1800's for a railroad weed burner.  I am trying to find the exact reference but I have a memory of interurban weed burners, that I believe were pre-WWII.

Don Burn

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

Thanks
Kevin

mofwcaboose

The Rock Island had a very similar car, 95270.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

Sent: Tue, Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Doug and All-
Charlie Vlk

I've been somewhat casually fascinated with weed spraying equipment for the last several years, as I have a couple photos showing part of a weed spraying train on the railroad I model (B&O Georgetown Branch, ca 1945-55) and have wanted to model it ever since. It's a back-burner project, but I've uncovered some interesting things along the way. R.H. Bogle was a company based in Alexandria, VA that operated for many years providing contracted services to various railroads of the region and beyond. Essentially they provided the specialized equipment and chemicals and the railroad provided the power. Photos of their equipment on various lines around the country can be found online in the usual places. They continued on into the 80s and 90s (I believe). Eventually renown for pension fraud, unfortunately. They developed their own chemicals too. Look up "Bo-Rid." 

THE EVOLUTION OF RAILROAD WEED SPRAY EQUIP, Ralph H. Bogle, Jr.
CHALLENGES OF RAILROAD CONTROL ARE LONG DAYS AND CONSTANT CARE (ca 1979)
https://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/wetrt/article/1979sep89.pdf

Someone chased the Bogle weed spraying train(s?) on the W&OD in the late 1950s (I think). Photos pop up frequently on FB and elsewhere:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/9e/1c/819e1c143dbc319dfb1534ba368b96d2.jpg
http://www.geocities.ws/purcellvillehistory/railroadstation.htm

RHBX 301 Louisville, KY 1950
RHBX 301 Weed Control Car Etowah, TN in July 1978
RHBX 305 on the EL at Voris Street in Akron, Ohio in early 1972
More RHBX equipment: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=RHBX

NALX 110 C&EI, Glover, Illinois, 1959 J. Parker Lamb
https://live.staticflickr.com/1603/24681665921_e7327da954_k.jpg%EF%BB%BF

NALX 118
https://archives.nauer.org/BRHSLIST/2014-01/msg00110.html

At the 5:16 mark in this video you can see one in action at Griffith Crossing near Chicago. 
https://youtu.be/cYTp3dLADyQ?t=316

The GNHS produced two related resin kits at their 2008 and 2009 conventions. You can see info here: https://www.gnrhs.org/sold_out_kits.htm

Here is a link to an assembly DIY of the GN Historic Society X-1853 weed sprayer resin kit, with some add'l info https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/37917

A post here about NALCO weed sprayer & cars https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/topic/52157574

I know that some of the material herein is not within the "steam era," however much of the specialized equipment was used for many years afterwards making it somewhat appropriate. Hoping this gives a bit more insight. I have wondered if there were any comprehensive books or articles written over the years on weed spraying trains, as I find it to be a really interesting aspect of the industry. 

--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

A Sept 1950 Maine Central magazine article on weed spraying, including a photo and details about operations:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53a3b0e7e4b0356e962ad8f4/t/5ca3df84104c7b8a2ac415d3/1554243483258/MCEM-1950-09.pdf

--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

RHBX 303 9/14/1965, Schiller Park, IL - Marty Bernard collection
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129679309@N05/21095460245

Anyone care to elaborate on the origin of this interesting car?
--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

Two views of WBX 100 Alchem Limited weed spray car. Burlington, ON c.1950's Jim Parker. Another outside braced boxcar design.
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/photos/private/one.htm
--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

mofwcaboose

There was a comprehensive book in two volumes about weed spray cars:.  Volume one was   titled "Railroad Weed Spray Contractors and Their Equipment". Volume two was "Railroad Owned and Operated Weed Spray Cars". The author was J. J. Pitts (now deceased). I do not believe many copies were printed (copyright date 2008). nor do I think any are still for sale. I own a copy mainly because I contributed so many photos to it.

Let's face it. Books of this sort are rare and do not sell because there is very little interest in such a specialized subject. Most such books are very much a "labor of love".

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

Sent: Wed, Jul 22, 2020 8:40 am

I've been somewhat casually fascinated with weed spraying equipment for the last several years, as I have a couple photos showing part of a weed spraying train on the railroad I model (B&O Georgetown Branch, ca 1945-55) and have wanted to model it ever since. It's a back-burner project, but I've uncovered some interesting things along the way. R.H. Bogle was a company based in Alexandria, VA that operated for many years providing contracted services to various railroads of the region and beyond. Essentially they provided the specialized equipment and chemicals and the railroad provided the power. Photos of their equipment on various lines around the country can be found online in the usual places. They continued on into the 80s and 90s (I believe). Eventually renown for pension fraud, unfortunately. They developed their own chemicals too. Look up "Bo-Rid." 

THE EVOLUTION OF RAILROAD WEED SPRAY EQUIP, Ralph H. Bogle, Jr.
CHALLENGES OF RAILROAD CONTROL ARE LONG DAYS AND CONSTANT CARE (ca 1979)
https://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/wetrt/article/1979sep89.pdf

Someone chased the Bogle weed spraying train(s?) on the W&OD in the late 1950s (I think). Photos pop up frequently on FB and elsewhere:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/9e/1c/819e1c143dbc319dfb1534ba368b96d2.jpg
http://www.geocities.ws/purcellvillehistory/railroadstation.htm

RHBX 301 Louisville, KY 1950
RHBX 301 Weed Control Car Etowah, TN in July 1978
RHBX 305 on the EL at Voris Street in Akron, Ohio in early 1972
More RHBX equipment: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=RHBX

NALX 110 C&EI, Glover, Illinois, 1959 J. Parker Lamb
https://live.staticflickr.com/1603/24681665921_e7327da954_k.jpg%EF%BB%BF

NALX 118
https://archives.nauer.org/BRHSLIST/2014-01/msg00110.html

At the 5:16 mark in this video you can see one in action at Griffith Crossing near Chicago. 
https://youtu.be/cYTp3dLADyQ?t=316

The GNHS produced two related resin kits at their 2008 and 2009 conventions. You can see info here: https://www.gnrhs.org/sold_out_kits.htm

Here is a link to an assembly DIY of the GN Historic Society X-1853 weed sprayer resin kit, with some add'l info https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/37917

A post here about NALCO weed sprayer & cars https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/topic/52157574

I know that some of the material herein is not within the "steam era," however much of the specialized equipment was used for many years afterwards making it somewhat appropriate. Hoping this gives a bit more insight. I have wondered if there were any comprehensive books or articles written over the years on weed spraying trains, as I find it to be a really interesting aspect of the industry. 

--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

Brian Shumaker

Oh, I gotta build me one of those NALX trains! Anyone have a side view?
Brian