Topics

StLB&M 1944 AAR DD Boxcar - C&BT Upgrade #6

Bob Chapman

Taking the idea of foreign road to an extreme, here's the last (yea!) of the C&BT upgrades from the stash -- a StLB&M double door boxcar. Yes, C&BT offered a DD boxcar carbody as one of their variations, and several interesting prototypes can be modeled from it, including UP, ATSF, CB&Q, SBD, SSW, and B&O. The B&O M-59 would have been a natural choice here, but I already had one courtesy Sunshine Models. So it was off in a very different direction with the StLB&M prototype.

If one overlooks the prototype's 15-foot door opening vs the kit's 14-foot, the kit's postwar Youngstown doors are a decent match. Replacement parts include a Yarmouth Apex runningboard, Tichy 8/8 ladders, and Kadee grabs and brakewheel. The deep sidesill was shaped from .040" x .125" styrene. Decals are Mask Island with leftover StLB&M reporting marks from a Sunshine set (never throw anything away!). Weathering matches the prototype photo -- a heavy layer of Texas dust.

This one completes the six-car pandemic project -- to upgrade the C&BT kits which have languished in the deep stash for four decades. Again, a big posthumous thanks to Richard Hendrickson for the inspirational Model Railroading articles in the late 80s, and to Ed Hawkins for his outstanding spreadsheets simplifying the correct detailing choices.

Bob Chapman

James Brewer

Bob,

A great looking model and weathering!

Jim Brewer

lsittler

Hi Bob- A really nice job to say the least. May I ask if the sources you quote are available, i.e . the Richard Hendrickson articles and the Ed Hawkins spreadsheets? I have a double door C&BT ATSF car that would be great to upgrade like what you have done here. Les

[...]

Attachments:

Benjamin Hom

Les Sittler asked:
"May I ask if the sources you quote are available, i.e . the Richard Hendrickson articles and the Ed Hawkins spreadsheets?"

The Hawkins spreadsheets can be found here:

Recommend list members bookmark this link and/or download the files as they've been referred to repeatedly on this list, yet people keep forgetting the information exists.

Ben Hom

lsittler

My apologies. I have only been on this list for about 5 months and am learning all the time. Had no idea lists like this existed and am truly a neophyte. I appreciate all the information that is available here. Unfortunately, I don’t know yet how to access things and appreciate everyone’s indulgence. Les

"May I ask if the sources you quote are available, i.e . the Richard Hendrickson articles and the Ed Hawkins spreadsheets?"

The Hawkins spreadsheets can be found here:

Recommend list members bookmark this link and/or download the files as they've been referred to repeatedly on this list, yet people keep forgetting the information exists.

Ben Hom

Steve and Barb Hile

Les,

The ATSF double door car from a C&BT shops car was one of the late Greg Martin’s last projects.  He did the presentation at Cocoa Beach in January.  Go to the Train Life site for old Model Railroading and other magazines.  https://trainlife.com/pages/model-railroading-magazine-archive

Steve Hile

[...]

Thanks Steve. I’ll do that. Les

[...]

mel perry

hi bob: