Topics

Storzek & Des Plaines 1916 NYC Auto Box Cars

Donald B. Valentine

    Being a Rutland modeler I have a number of these box car and auto car kits and have some questions about two that turn out to be NYC cars, NOT Rutland versions. For those wo do not know the difference it

is clear to me that when designing these kits Dennis was aware of the fact that the 1916 NYC ordered cars had 6 over 6 rib ends but that the 1924 Rutland ordered cars used a 5 over 7 rib end while being alike in

all other respects. Two auto boxes purchased in the after market as Rutland cars have proven to be NYC cars, which it the reason for the following questions.

  1. The instructions Dennis prepared for these car kits state the NYC began to rebuild the auto cars with only 6 ft. doors beginning in 1931. Does this mean the NYC only had auto box cars originally?

  1. He further states that one hundred cars were sold to the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic n 1935

and that “within the next two years most of the rest had been rebuilt as all steel boxcars”. Does

this mean that no cars of this type as either auto box cars or 6 ft. door box cars remained on the entire NYC system? What happened to the cars assigned to the Michigan Central? If an auto box

car of this type were still in use on the Michigan Central in the 1948 era I’d use the decals that

came with the kit and have one Michigan Central car. The other will end up as a D.S.S.&A. car or

a Nickel Plate Road car, that road having acquired a number of them through its purchase of the

Wheeling & Lake Erie.

     Hopefully either Dennis has acquired more knowledge of these cars over the last thirty years or Ray Breyer or another list member with knowledge of these cars can respond to my questions.

Cordially, Don Valentme

.

Benjamin Hom

Don Valentine asked:
"Being a Rutland modeler I have a number of these box car and auto car kits and have some questions about two that turn out to be NYC cars, NOT Rutland versions. For those who do not know the difference it is clear to me that when designing these kits Dennis was aware of the fact that the 1916 NYC ordered cars had 6 over 6 rib ends but that the 1924 Rutland ordered cars used a 5 over 7 rib end while being alike in  all other respects. Two auto boxes purchased in the after market as Rutland cars have proven to be NYC cars, which it the reason for the following questions:

1. The instructions Dennis prepared for these car kits state the NYC began to rebuild the auto cars with only 6 ft. doors beginning in 1931. Does this mean the NYC only had auto box cars originally?"

Correct.  Cars were originally in Lots 327-B, 328-B, 329-B, 352-B, 353-B, 357-B, 358-B, 361-B, 363-B, 364-B, 365-B, and 366-B.  See Terry Link's website for more details on individual lots.

"2. He further states that one hundred cars were sold to the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic in 1935 and that 'within the next two years most of the rest had been rebuilt as all steel boxcars'. Does this mean that no cars of this type as either auto box cars or 6 ft. door box cars remained on the entire NYC system?"

Rebuilt steel boxcar lots include 633-B, 634-B, 637-B, 643-B, 644-B, 648-B, 649-B, 652-B, 654-B, 657-B, 662-B, 663-B, 664-B, 672-B, and 679-B; however, some DS cars survived to at least 1950, though you'll have to check the ORERs for specifics regarding numbers of cars left.  The steel rebuilds were offered by Sunshine, and were surprisingly common cars, with many turning up in the Premo shifting lists.

"What happened to the cars assigned to the Michigan Central? If an auto box car of this type were still in use on the Michigan Central in the 1948 era I’d use the decals that came with the kit and have one Michigan Central car."

The Michigan Central cars were notionally renumbered in NYC car series in 1936, but cars with MCRR reporting marks ran until 1945.  Again, check the applicable ORERs for details.

Finally, these cars are currently available from Westerfield, including the Rutland and DSS&A variations.
Ben Hom

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Don,

Do you have Ted Culotta's article "New York Central "1916" Steel Auto Cars and Rebuilt Steel Auto Cars" from the January 2005 RMC?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 11:09 AM Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 08:02 AM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
    Hopefully either Dennis has acquired more knowledge of these cars over the last thirty years or Ray Breyer or another list member with knowledge of these cars can respond to my questions.
Don,
Unfortunately writing the history section of the instructions was the end of my research on these cars. As I recall, it was the late Richard Stoving who provided the bulk of the roster data for the NYC cars. As I understood it, first the Michigan Central cars were rolled into the NYC roster, AND THEN the rebuilding and dispositions began.

Dennis Storzek

Mark Rossiter

The LATE Richard Stoving?  I was not aware he passed.  If true, that is sad news indeed!

Mark Rossiterr

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 06:28 PM, Mark Rossiter wrote:
The LATE Richard Stoving?  I was not aware he passed.  If true, that is sad news indeed!
Well, I certainly have egg on my face. I haven't corresponded with Mr. Stoving since we collaborated on the history for that instruction sheet over thirty years ago, and some how I had in my mind that I had heard of his passing, an error that has been privately pointed out to me. So, I offer this correction and a public apology to Mr. Stoving and his family.

Dennis Storzek