Strangest caboose I ever did see


Dennis Storzek
 

I just ran into this photo: https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/John-S-Ingles-Collection/Traction/i-TBdnHQ9/A

I don't know a whole lot about the Denver & Intermountain other than it was an electric interurban line in the Denver area, that from the photos obviously had some interchange freight business... But this caboose is a classic. It looks like they took the body of a horse car or very early electric streetcar and used it as a cabin, mounting it on a frame heavy enough for railroad service. If only I had one of those old Hawk cable car kits, I'd kitbash the thing and enter it in a model contest to confound the judges :-)

Dennis Storzek


Alexander Schneider Jr
 

I just sold mine on Ebay. Thinning my herd of "white elephants".

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 10:32 PM, Dennis Storzek
<dennis@...> wrote:
I just ran into this photo: https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/John-S-Ingles-Collection/Traction/i-TBdnHQ9/A

I don't know a whole lot about the Denver & Intermountain other than it was an electric interurban line in the Denver area, that from the photos obviously had some interchange freight business... But this caboose is a classic. It looks like they took the body of a horse car or very early electric streetcar and used it as a cabin, mounting it on a frame heavy enough for railroad service. If only I had one of those old Hawk cable car kits, I'd kitbash the thing and enter it in a model contest to confound the judges :-)

Dennis Storzek


Bruce Hendrick
 

Are you sure it’s a caboose? Might be an inspection car for the overhead wires with tools and equipment outfitted in the old trolley body.

Bruce Hendrick
Brea, California


schmuck804_99@...
 

The photo caption says " Caboose 901".

Chris


schmuck804_99@...
 

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/67440/


Todd Sullivan
 

Looks like it was once an early trolley or horse car.  The body, with running gear removed, was placed on a flat car.
Cheap and effective way to create a caboose.  Denver and Intermountain Ry was an electric interurban line (check out the loco).

Todd Sullivan


Matt Mihalo
 

This was a combination of a homemade flatcar and the carbody of Denver Tramway Cable Car #271 in 1886 by 1886 by the Laclede Car Company of Saint Louis. Renumbered as DTC #40 in 1888.   Rebuilt in 1918 as Caboose 901.  Flatcar burned in 1950, carbody saved and restored, now on display at Forney Transp. Museum in Denver as Denver Tramway Cable Car #40.  All equipment in this picture is 42" gauge.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 10:41 AM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looks like it was once an early trolley or horse car.  The body, with running gear removed, was placed on a flat car.
Cheap and effective way to create a caboose.  Denver and Intermountain Ry was an electric interurban line (check out the loco).

Todd Sullivan


Matt Mihalo
 

This train is near Golden. The tracks in the foreground is the main line of the Denver & Salt Lake.  Likely an empty coal train bound for the Leyden Coal Mine, north of Golden.  Leyden Coal was also owned by the Denver Tramway

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:05 AM Matt Mihalo <mmihalo763@...> wrote:
This was a combination of a homemade flatcar and the carbody of Denver Tramway Cable Car #271 in 1886 by 1886 by the Laclede Car Company of Saint Louis. Renumbered as DTC #40 in 1888.   Rebuilt in 1918 as Caboose 901.  Flatcar burned in 1950, carbody saved and restored, now on display at Forney Transp. Museum in Denver as Denver Tramway Cable Car #40.  All equipment in this picture is 42" gauge.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 10:41 AM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looks like it was once an early trolley or horse car.  The body, with running gear removed, was placed on a flat car.
Cheap and effective way to create a caboose.  Denver and Intermountain Ry was an electric interurban line (check out the loco).

Todd Sullivan


Jerry Michels
 

I agree with Bruce.  This is not a caboose.  It can be classified as a MOW car.  Jerry Michels


Philip Dove
 

In the UK the Southern railway built a batch of caboose (called brake vans in the UK) very similar using redundant electric power cars for the bodywork on a cut down chassis. The result looked the same a long wheelbase on trucks and a short cabin to accommodate the Guard or conductor perched in the middle of the deck. 


On Sat, 15 Jan 2022, 17:07 Matt Mihalo, <mmihalo763@...> wrote:
This train is near Golden. The tracks in the foreground is the main line of the Denver & Salt Lake.  Likely an empty coal train bound for the Leyden Coal Mine, north of Golden.  Leyden Coal was also owned by the Denver Tramway

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 11:05 AM Matt Mihalo <mmihalo763@...> wrote:
This was a combination of a homemade flatcar and the carbody of Denver Tramway Cable Car #271 in 1886 by 1886 by the Laclede Car Company of Saint Louis. Renumbered as DTC #40 in 1888.   Rebuilt in 1918 as Caboose 901.  Flatcar burned in 1950, carbody saved and restored, now on display at Forney Transp. Museum in Denver as Denver Tramway Cable Car #40.  All equipment in this picture is 42" gauge.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 10:41 AM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looks like it was once an early trolley or horse car.  The body, with running gear removed, was placed on a flat car.
Cheap and effective way to create a caboose.  Denver and Intermountain Ry was an electric interurban line (check out the loco).

Todd Sullivan


Matt Mihalo
 

It's not, read my message above.  D&IM classified this car as a caboose and used it on the coal trains between Leyden & Denver.


Dennis Storzek
 

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 09:05 AM, Matt Mihalo wrote:
This was a combination of a homemade flatcar and the carbody of Denver Tramway Cable Car #271 in 1886 by 1886 by the Laclede Car Company of Saint Louis. Renumbered as DTC #40 in 1888.   Rebuilt in 1918 as Caboose 901.  Flatcar burned in 1950, carbody saved and restored, now on display at Forney Transp. Museum in Denver as Denver Tramway Cable Car #40.  All equipment in this picture is 42" gauge.
I didn't realize this operation wasn't standard gauge. The photo I originally came across only had the caboose and a very ordinary interurban style locomotive, so I assumed they did some interchange freight business. I knew shay had some standard gauge lines, just jumped to the wrong conclusion. I see from the train picture posted that the caboose has radial couplers and the coal gons may have them as well.

Dennis Storzek


dahminator68
 

Hello Dennis:  The Denver & Intermountain had two operations.  The coal mines in Leyden, Co were standard gauge so the coal gondolas could be interchanged with D&SL and other rr’s.  The rest of the D&IM was 42” gauge.  The one photo posted of a train with gondolas shows the dual gauge track under the train.
Caboose 902 is at CRRM in Golden.

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 2:14 PM, Dennis Storzek <dennis@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 09:05 AM, Matt Mihalo wrote:
This was a combination of a homemade flatcar and the carbody of Denver Tramway Cable Car #271 in 1886 by 1886 by the Laclede Car Company of Saint Louis. Renumbered as DTC #40 in 1888.   Rebuilt in 1918 as Caboose 901.  Flatcar burned in 1950, carbody saved and restored, now on display at Forney Transp. Museum in Denver as Denver Tramway Cable Car #40.  All equipment in this picture is 42" gauge.
I didn't realize this operation wasn't standard gauge. The photo I originally came across only had the caboose and a very ordinary interurban style locomotive, so I assumed they did some interchange freight business. I knew shay had some standard gauge lines, just jumped to the wrong conclusion. I see from the train picture posted that the caboose has radial couplers and the coal gons may have them as well.

Dennis Storzek