Sylvan's ResinPrep is intended to be used to was their products before painting them. It is NOT a paint stripper AFAIK.

Bill Welch

Craig Zeni

On Dec 31, 2016, at 1:36 PM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:

1b. Re: Stripping resin castings
Posted by: "Benjamin Hom" b.hom@att.net benjaminfrank_hom
Date: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:07 am ((PST))

Fred Jansz wrote:
"I'm using Dot3/4 brake fluid. How long it takes depends on the paint. Most of the times works fine. Some acrylic paints are rather stubborn and might take a day or two in the bath."

ON RESIN? I think not. DO NOT USE BRAKE FLUID TO STRIP RESIN. You will end up with a blob instead of kit components or a model.
I used Chameleon on a SMMW car. The doors and running boards balled up into wads of uselessness; the main body casting was unfazed. Curious indeed.

But short answer - use brake fluid, Scalecoat Rinse Away, Chameleon at your own peril.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Bill Welch

Stated more bluntly NEVER use them.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

That is very curious. Tells me the doors and body were probably not
the same material.

Obviously not all polystyrene and urethane resin formulas are the same.

Brake fluid will attack anything contain rubber compounds like ABS.

Google for "resistance to brake fluid" plus "urethane resin" or other
things like "styrene" or "epoxy" etc etc.

I have stripped some Front Range models by soaking them in a bottle of Accupaint
thinner - which contains both ACETONE and MEK - you'd think they would MELT but
they were undamaged! And of course the paint came off, since Front Range used that
type of paint.

When I paint with acrylics I keep a bucket of lukewarm water nearby. A couple
of times when I made a major mistake, I just dunked the model immediately
into the bucket! After it dried out, I started over.

Tim O'Connor