Topics

Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

Tim O'Connor

Jaeger is the vendor - they don't make that pipe kit anymore. It was a GREAT kit I just
wish they had expanded the product to include 3 or 4 pipe sizes - these are often shipped
as smaller pipes inside larger pipes, because the pipes are relatively lightweight.

I used Chartpak 1/64 for banding on the pipes.

On 10/16/2019 7:39 PM, gary laakso wrote:

Here is a picture of a Chad Boas GN flat car with an ancient, as in 28 plus years. load of galvanized pipe with straps.  The vendor was Jamiko,( spelling), in a blue and white box.  The material is a synthetic and came in a roll and was used both for a lumber load and for the galvanized pipe.  Likely, the material is available in a craft store.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

s shaffer

Tim O'Connor writes:

*Jaeger*is the vendor - they don't make that pipe kit anymore. It was a GREAT kit
I just bought one of the kits on ebay. I had been trying to roll my own using heavy and extra heavy aluminum foil and different sizes of all- thread. Was not working well. I need to measure the thickness of the aluminum in the kit which are corrugated flat sheets that you roll around a wood dowel. Campbell Scale Models used to sell corrugated roof metal, but I do not remember how the corrugations were oriented to be useful for making pipe. Only other corrugated metal I have used was in the Suydam metal kits but that is too heavy to roll and somewhat course.

Steve Shaffer
Las Cruces, New Mexico

mvlandsw

For very small diameter wire without any insulating coating strip the insulation off of stranded wire used in decoder installations. This should accept chemical blackening.

Mark Vinski

Corrugated pipes for loads are now made by Iowa Scaled Engineering.

Regards,

Colin ‘t Hart
Frösön, Sweden

Nelson Moyer

That works, but you can remove the lacquer insulation from magnet wire with a few wipes of lacquer thinner and do the same thing. The large array of wire diameters available as magnet wire give you more control of scale sizes.

Nelson Moyer

For very small diameter wire without any insulating coating strip the insulation off of stranded wire used in decoder installations. This should accept chemical blackening.

Mark Vinski

Daniel A. Mitchell

The plastic insulation (sometimes nylon) of many kinds of “magnet wire” is NOT removable by lacquer thinner … or much of anything else either. However heating the wire to near red-heat (candle or lighter) will char the coating, making it easily removable with solvents or mild abrasion (sandpaper).

Dan Mitchell