Topics

Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

Tim O'Connor

Jaeger is the vendor - they don't make that pipe kit anymore. It was a GREAT kit I just
wish they had expanded the product to include 3 or 4 pipe sizes - these are often shipped
as smaller pipes inside larger pipes, because the pipes are relatively lightweight.

I used Chartpak 1/64 for banding on the pipes.

On 10/16/2019 7:39 PM, gary laakso wrote:

Here is a picture of a Chad Boas GN flat car with an ancient, as in 28 plus years. load of galvanized pipe with straps.  The vendor was Jamiko,( spelling), in a blue and white box.  The material is a synthetic and came in a roll and was used both for a lumber load and for the galvanized pipe.  Likely, the material is available in a craft store. 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

s shaffer

Tim O'Connor writes:

*Jaeger*is the vendor - they don't make that pipe kit anymore. It was a GREAT kit
I just bought one of the kits on ebay. I had been trying to roll my own using heavy and extra heavy aluminum foil and different sizes of all- thread. Was not working well. I need to measure the thickness of the aluminum in the kit which are corrugated flat sheets that you roll around a wood dowel. Campbell Scale Models used to sell corrugated roof metal, but I do not remember how the corrugations were oriented to be useful for making pipe. Only other corrugated metal I have used was in the Suydam metal kits but that is too heavy to roll and somewhat course.

Steve Shaffer
Las Cruces, New Mexico

mvlandsw

For very small diameter wire without any insulating coating strip the insulation off of stranded wire used in decoder installations. This should accept chemical blackening.

Mark Vinski

Corrugated pipes for loads are now made by Iowa Scaled Engineering.

Regards,

Colin ‘t Hart
Frösön, Sweden

Nelson Moyer

That works, but you can remove the lacquer insulation from magnet wire with a few wipes of lacquer thinner and do the same thing. The large array of wire diameters available as magnet wire give you more control of scale sizes.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mvlandsw
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:42 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

For very small diameter wire without any insulating coating strip the insulation off of stranded wire used in decoder installations. This should accept chemical blackening.

Mark Vinski

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.

Daniel A. Mitchell

The plastic insulation (sometimes nylon) of many kinds of “magnet wire” is NOT removable by lacquer thinner … or much of anything else either. However heating the wire to near red-heat (candle or lighter) will char the coating, making it easily removable with solvents or mild abrasion (sandpaper).

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Oct 17, 2019, at 8:56 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

That works, but you can remove the lacquer insulation from magnet wire with a few wipes of lacquer thinner and do the same thing. The large array of wire diameters available as magnet wire give you more control of scale sizes.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mvlandsw
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 12:42 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

Mark Vinski 

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.

Bob Werre

I put together that package of the pipe for loads maybe 10-14 years ago.  It worked out fine and as I recall you used a wooden dowel as an armature.  I later made up some larger diameter pipe using corrugated material sold by Triangle models (S scale--not sure if it's still available from the new owner though).  It was slightly thicker but worked out well--just don't drop something on the car or you'll have scrap metal load!  I used Chartpack for strapping.  A good friend used scrap exposed and processed litho film, then painted the final few scale inches with red paint--that was perfect. 

Bob Werre

BobWphoto.com 

Nelson Moyer

Dan, you are right, a few wipes of lacquer thinner won’t remove the insulation, however, you are also wrong, soaking wire in lacquer thinner for several hours does soften the insulation, and then it is easily removed .

Nelson Moyer.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel A. Mitchell
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:57 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

The plastic insulation (sometimes nylon) of many kinds of “magnet wire” is NOT removable by lacquer thinner … or much of anything else either. However heating the wire to near red-heat (candle or lighter) will char the coating, making it easily removable with solvents or mild abrasion (sandpaper).

Dan Mitchell

==========

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mvlandsw

Mark Vinski 

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.

Daniel A. Mitchell

Could be, I never tried a long soak. I spoke from the perspective of an electronics technician who often had to solder junctions including magnet wire. That was always a pain, but various tricks helped. It could be abraded off with sandpaper, but this was tricky on the smaller sizes (gauges in the #40s sizes). The insulation often seemed stronger than the wire, and the end of the wire would frequently break off.  No solvents were effective. Heating the end of the wire in the flame of an alcohol lamp was the most effective method. On fine gauge wire this only takes a second or so (it’s easy to overdo it and melt the end of the wire).  Once charred the residue of the insulation could be easily removed with a fingernail or fine sandpaper.

On the other hand, for model RR purposes, why remove the insulation at all? It’s very thin, adds little to the diameter of the wire, and can be painted if desired. The wire itself is bright copper, not at all what prototype steel wire looks like. The natural color of the insulation ranges from browns to greens, and often it is transparent enough to allow the copper wire color to show through, so painting is probably desired.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Oct 17, 2019, at 10:57 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Dan, you are right, a few wipes of lacquer thinner won’t remove the insulation, however, you are also wrong, soaking wire in lacquer thinner for several hours does soften the insulation, and then it is easily removed .

Nelson Moyer.

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel A. Mitchell
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:57 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Dan Mitchell
==========

Nelson Moyer

Mark Vinski