Topics

Suggestions? - Livestock Cars & Operations Books

Bob Chaparro

Suggestions? - Livestock Cars & Operations Books

I'm looking for books on livestock cars and operations. So far, my very short list includes:

  • Live Stock Operations: History, Equipment, Facilities & Modeling by J. Stephen Sandifer
  • Stock Car Cyclopedia Vol. 1 by Robert L. Hundman
  • Stock Cars of the Santa Fe Railway by Frank M Ellington, John Berry & Loren Martens
  • Train Shed Cyclopedia #3 Box, Stock & Refrigerator cars from the 1931 Car Builders' Cyclopedia
  • Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 17: Box, Stock and Flat Cars from the 1943 Car Builders' Cyclopedia

Does anyone have additional suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

ed_mines

you can buy the Hundman book from bookfinders for about $14. I have the book; it's worth $14.

Ed Mines

Steve SANDIFER

I have all five. The Ellington book was great for 20+ years. I think you will find everything in it is in my book. Hundman’s book has lots of photos and drawings from a variety of railroads. I think mine is the only one with an operations emphasis.

The  Burlington Bulletin #25 is 135 pages dedicated to stock cars and livestock traffic on the CB&Q, FW&D, and C&S. It is excellent, a must have for Burlington modelers.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Suggestions? - Livestock Cars & Operations Books

I'm looking for books on livestock cars and operations. So far, my very short list includes:

  • Live Stock Operations: History, Equipment, Facilities & Modeling by J. Stephen Sandifer
  • Stock Car Cyclopedia Vol. 1 by Robert L. Hundman
  • Stock Cars of the Santa Fe Railway by Frank M Ellington, John Berry & Loren Martens
  • Train Shed Cyclopedia #3 Box, Stock & Refrigerator cars from the 1931 Car Builders' Cyclopedia
  • Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 17: Box, Stock and Flat Cars from the 1943 Car Builders' Cyclopedia

Does anyone have additional suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

How about Albin Burrows article "36-Foot Harriman Standard Stock Cars" from MODEL RAILROADING for January 1989?

There were also several similar articles in MODEL RAILROADING and RAILMODEL JOURNAL on Fowler and Mather stock cars. If interested, I can possibly supply the sources.

TRAIN SHED CYCLOPEDIA 36 had stock cars from the 1919 CBC.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 2:35 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Suggestions? - Livestock Cars & Operations Books

I'm looking for books on livestock cars and operations. So far, my very short list includes:

  • Live Stock Operations: History, Equipment, Facilities & Modeling by J. Stephen Sandifer
  • Stock Car Cyclopedia Vol. 1 by Robert L. Hundman
  • Stock Cars of the Santa Fe Railway by Frank M Ellington, John Berry & Loren Martens
  • Train Shed Cyclopedia #3 Box, Stock & Refrigerator cars from the 1931 Car Builders' Cyclopedia
  • Train Shed Cyclopedia No. 17: Box, Stock and Flat Cars from the 1943 Car Builders' Cyclopedia

Does anyone have additional suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

         Last two times I went to the Santa Fe Society webpage to buy your book, Stephen, I got the message "cannot complete your request at this time." Any suggestions?

Tony Thompson

Steve SANDIFER

No idea about the Society website, but I have some here and can sell one to you $55, postpaid. PayPal accepted. They are also available from Ron’s books, McMillan, and Amazon.

J. Stephen Sandifer