Topics

Sunshine B&O O-59A gondola - containers

Malcolm H. Houck

Perhaps an obscure commodity shipped in gondola - containers was coal........Howe Scale at Rutland, Vermont had a cupola furnace for melting iron pigs and regularly received containers of anthracite (as I was informed once upon a time in conversation) for this furnace.........I will certainly stand corrected by those on this list more knowledgeable........

Mal Houck

Randy Hees

Coke would be more likely than Anthracite....  Anthracite was used in early iron making, but anthracite would require a hot blast, while coke (or charcoal) works with cold blast... Coke is also shipped in gondolas, or occasionally in stock cars.

Randy Hees