Sunshine L&N Boxcar kit # 85.1

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Charlie Slater wrote:
I just checked and I do have that kit and my floor is about .040" short, and I will just shim the ends when I assemble it.
This is more like four scale INCHES, not two feet as in the previous case reported.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Or put another way, that's less than 1% shrinkage, which is pretty
much within the normal parameters of Martin's castings.

I just checked and I do have that kit and my floor is about .040" short, and I will just shim the ends when I assemble it.
Charlie Slater

Greg Martin

Chuck,

There are worst error than this. His PRR X29b has a door that is too big it
is actually about 7'_6" which renders the car useless or at least a major
PITA.

Greg Martin

In a message dated 10/2/2009 8:16:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
RUTLANDRS@aol.com writes:

Tom,
An error is still an error, especially if it is as glaring as I have
read in the posts..
Chuck Hladik

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Greg Martin wrote:
There are worst error than this. His PRR X29b has a door that is too big it is actually about 7'_6" which renders the car useless or at least a major PITA.
Were not the door OPENINGS on the X29b 7 feet? And would not the door itself then be 7'6"?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Greg Martin

No Tony, the doors on a car with a 7-foot opening don't have a 7'-6" door
and it is a bit bigger than 7'-6" as well. It just wrong.. 3^(

Greg Martin

In a message dated 10/3/2009 9:22:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
thompson@signaturepress.com writes:

Were not the door OPENINGS on the X29b 7 feet? And would not
the door itself then be 7'6"?

al_brown03

My floor's length and width are right on: should fit perfectly.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

I have this kit, am ready to start some new projects. Let me see if mine has the same problem.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "pullmanboss" <tgmadden@> wrote:

How come we can crucify Intermountain (and others) but not Sunshine for errors like this? This is just plain "head up and locked" manufacturing.
Because such errors in a plastic kit are built/designed in, and every kit will have them. With resin kits they are typically vagaries of the casting process and affect only a few kits. Yes, there have certainly been poorly designed resin kits, but in principle every resin kit ends up in the hands of a builder who is can cope with such shortcomings. Also, it's one thing to have 200 - 300 resin kits with errors, and quite another to put 10,000 - 20,000 defective plastic kits out there.

Tom Madden

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

For what it's worth, in addition to making my own masters, RTV molds, and resin parts, I have worked closely with three resin companies, bought products from a half-dozen more, and examined personally or read detailed build reviews for many more. I think the biggest company of the lot had maybe five people associated with them. The others typically were one man operations with maybe another guy helping out from time to time. In the last 10 years the problems described here have been virtually non-existent in the armor and aircraft model parts that are on the market.

That's my understanding of what's possible in the medium.

KL