Topics

Susquehanna 40’ boxcars c1940-48

Brad Andonian

Fellas

I am seeking info on early steel or wood 40’ boxcars.   Build dates type etc appreciated!    I only see repaint images in the green scheme in my searches.  Of course a black white image would be perfect.

Many thanks for any help,
Brad Andonian

al_brown03

I'm away from my '43 ORER, but I'm not sure if NYS&W had any 40' boxcars in the forties. They had ex-Erie 36' Fowler boxcars (Westerfield 4300-series kits). I'll look when I get home.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Donald B. Valentine

    The Susie-Q had 49 cars that were 36 ft. DOMINION cars by April 1948, never mind the Fowler car nonsense
as in the photos I have seen NO Erie Dominion cars used the unnecessary, and expensive, Fowler patent.The
same cars were present in the July 1947 ORER but no 40 ft. cars are shown in either. By July 1959 there were
9 Dominion cars left and two 40 ft. cars, #401 and #402 had been added. The Dominion cars were rated at 80,000
lbs. and the two steel cars at 100,000 lbs. Interestngly there were no other cars on the road at this later date other
than 10 cabeese.

Cordially, Don Valentine

G.J. Irwin

The 36 foot boxcars Don Valentine mentioned are shown in the January 1945 ORER as well.

Although after the 1948 time period end about which you asked, the next ORER in my accumulation is from July 1950 and shows 40 of the 36 foot boxcars on the roster.

Elsewhere online it's noted that the road had some 40 foot boxcars, which were later sold to the Monon.  The ex-LV boxcars in the familiar green "Ship With Susie-Q" lettering would appear "in the future" for this list.

Cheers,
George Irwin

ed_mines

I've seen a couple of photos of former LV double door box cars rebuilt with a single door with the old lady billboard Susquehanna advertising.

Kemal Mumcu

Just curious, how many cars were listed in '45?

Colin Meikle

John Sykes III

In January 1948 NYS&W had 49 - 36' IL boxcars.  The number series they were in was 1500 to 1563, so they probably had 64 or more cars originally.  My understanding was that Erie bought over 1,000 of these Canadian style boxcars and lettered some as NYS&W, which they had controlling interest in at the time.  Also in the January 1948 ORER there are none, 0, zip, nadda, 40 ft boxcars on the Suzy Q roster.  Interestingly 951 of the Erie cars (93000-93999) are listed as IL = 35'10" ???  Were these different cars or 36' IL cars modified in some way?  The true 36' IL cars are in two separate number groups in 1948 (60000-60005 and 86010-88016).  The Accurail car is numbered 87134 - i.e., out of the second group.  Their NYS&W 36' car is numbered 1567.  I guess that January 1948 ORER I bought came in handy after all.

-- John

John Sykes III

As a follow-up, I model c-1955 so I have a detailed NYS&W freight roster for that time period (1954-1958) with notes.  The notes indicate that Suzy Q originally had 500 Fowler box cars listed as manufactured by Fowler Car Co. of Canada (could be a mistake).  I have notes on the other boxcars that I thought you might find interesting, so I have uploaded the roster to the files here.

-- John

John Sykes III

Groups IO won't let me upload this file to the files section so lets try it this way.

-- John

Schleigh Mike

Hello John and FC Group!

The ERIE's 93000 series of nominal 36' inside length XM boxcars are of no relationship to the older 'Fowler' ERIE cars.  The former were built in 1920-21 by Standard Steel Car.  The Fowlers 1913-14 by both SSC and AC&F.  None of the 93000 were a part of the NYS&W fleet.

Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Monday, August 26, 2019, 9:02:05 PM EDT, John Sykes III via Groups.Io <johnsykesiii@...> wrote:

In January 1948 NYS&W had 49 - 36' IL boxcars.  The number series they were in was 1500 to 1563, so they probably had 64 or more cars originally.  My understanding was that Erie bought over 1,000 of these Canadian style boxcars and lettered some as NYS&W, which they had controlling interest in at the time.  Also in the January 1948 ORER there are none, 0, zip, nadda, 40 ft boxcars on the Suzy Q roster.  Interestingly 951 of the Erie cars (93000-93999) are listed as IL = 35'10" ???  Were these different cars or 36' IL cars modified in some way?  The true 36' IL cars are in two separate number groups in 1948 (60000-60005 and 86010-88016).  The Accurail car is numbered 87134 - i.e., out of the second group.  Their NYS&W 36' car is numbered 1567.  I guess that January 1948 ORER I bought came in handy after all.

-- John

Steve Salotti

Not sure if this is going to the group, if so sorry, it's old news.  On August 26th John Sykes mentioned a roster for the NYS&W, I've downloaded it and have a question about the roster.  There are two groups of hoppers listed, John, is one group the Erie horizontal rib cars as produced by Funaro & Carmerlengo, and the other standard style hoppers?

TIA Steve Salotti