From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of David North
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 7:22 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Swift Tank Car

The article in RMJ Feb 1993 issue mentions 499 Swift tank cars in 1948 with SWTX reporting marks.
Car numbers were from 5000 to 9999 and were both 8,000 & 10,000 gallon cars.
Does anyone have a photo of one of these tank cars that they can share with me, please?
cheers
Dave

San Antonio & San Francisco <sanantonio-sanfrancisco@...>

Dave,

Here is the only photograph of Swift Tank Cars that I have. It's a whole yard full of them outside a stock yard. The picture blows up nicely, but the details on the cars are scant because they are absolutely filthy. Odd for Swift, but I guess the "no one cares anymore" syndrome of the railroads was starting to take shape. Picture is Circa 1910-1915.

Levi

Jon Miller

On 9/8/2020 7:45 AM, San Antonio & San Francisco wrote:
but the details on the cars are scant because they are absolutely filthy.

    Interesting tank holding design/s.  Ends look similar but no two seem alike.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Barry Bennett

According to the 1955 tariff book the Swift tank car fleet is almost entirely made up of nominal 8000 gal cars, with the exceptions of #9100 which is the sole nom 10000 gals, #9500 to 9512 which are nom 4000gals and #9551 to 9560 which are nom 6000 gals. All are steam heated, as to be expected but #8015 to 8022, 8024 to 8031, 8035, 8036 and 8038 to 8046 are insulated as well.

The dome capacities tell a story of of a fleet of bits and pieces in that dome caps vary from 170 gals to 360 gals or so. There are a few small blocks of cars with the same dome cap, mainly 3's or 4's, that would hint they were built as a batch but the rest vary all over the place. Best of luck attaching a manufacturer or date of build to that lot.

Barry Bennett

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 15:55, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:
On 9/8/2020 7:45 AM, San Antonio & San Francisco wrote:
but the details on the cars are scant because they are absolutely filthy.

    Interesting tank holding design/s.  Ends look similar but no two seem alike.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

OK... what would Swift need a tank car for?

Gordon Spalty

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Gordon,

How about fat? Animal fats are a valuable byproduct of slaughter houses. They are used in all sorts of other products from cosmetics to explosives (think glycerine).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:12 PM Gordon <boomer1944@...> wrote:
OK... what would Swift need a tank car for?

Gordon Spalty

Barry Bennett

And lots of blood and urine.

Barry Bennett

On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 12:19, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Gordon,

How about fat? Animal fats are a valuable byproduct of slaughter houses. They are used in all sorts of other products from cosmetics to explosives (think glycerine).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 9:12 PM Gordon <boomer1944@...> wrote:
OK... what would Swift need a tank car for?

Gordon Spalty

Gavin

Salt brine perhaps? or blood and fat for rending

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 6:12 PM Gordon <boomer1944@...> wrote:
OK... what would Swift need a tank car for?

Gordon Spalty

David North

Thanks to everyone who replied to my email re Swift tank cars.
cheers
Dave

al_brown03

Hmm, full side sills.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Bruce Smith

Al,

The photo is circa 1910. These are early "tank on flatcar" types of tank cars with end braces instead of center anchors. Likely most, if not all, were out of service in a just a few more years.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL