T&P 1937 AAR boxcars

Richard Remiarz

Greetings,

I am looking for some help.  I am building a model of a Texas & Pacific 1937 AAR boxcar using a National Scale Car MK102 mini-kit.  I will be lettering the car as it would appear in the mid-50s with the T&P herald.  What shade of red were T&P boxcars in the 1950’s?  Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows

O Fenton Wells

I don't know what kind of paint you use but I'll bet TrueColor makes a T&P color for T&P
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Richard Remiarz

Fenton,

That is the first place I looked and TruColor doesn’t have a T&P paint color.

Rich Remiarz

On Jun 9, 2022, at 1:05 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

I'd go with "rich oxide brown" ... for later repaints the color was more muted, so I'd add a drop
of a "maroon" to the mix.

:-)

On 6/9/2022 3:28 PM, Richard Remiarz wrote:
Fenton,

That is the first place I looked and TruColor doesn’t have a T&P paint color.

Rich Remiarz

On Jun 9, 2022, at 1:05 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I don't know what kind of paint you use but I'll bet TrueColor makes a T&P color for T&P
Fenton

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 11:42 AM Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:

Greetings,

I am looking for some help.  I am building a model of a Texas & Pacific 1937 AAR boxcar using a National Scale Car MK102 mini-kit.  I will be lettering the car as it would appear in the mid-50s with the T&P herald.  What shade of red were T&P boxcars in the 1950’s?  Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Sterling, Massachusetts

O Fenton Wells

Well, my bad, I should have known you would have already looked.  I have one color photo from 1966 and it looks brownish.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 3:28 PM Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Fenton.  I don’t have much in the way of photos from southern roads.  I just heard from Ed Hawkins and he said there is a color photo in RPCyc volume 3 so I will check there next.

Rich Remiarz

On Jun 9, 2022, at 2:42 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tim.

Rich Remiarz

On Jun 9, 2022, at 2:35 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

What number series? I may have some photos.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Richard Remiarz <rremiarz@...>
Date: Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 2:47 PM
To: "main@realstmfc.groups.io" <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] T&P 1937 AAR boxcars

[...]

I have received color photos from a number of list members and was reminded of the color photo of one of these cars in RPCyc Volume 3 (along with paint formulas for T&P).  Thank you.

Of course, the more you learn the less you know.  The cars were built with wooden running boards and Youngstown doors with Union Duplex fixtures.  However, all of the photos I received of the cars repainted in the 1950s show replacement 5-panel Superior doors and steel running boards, and 6 of the 7 cars show a reinforcement plate on the lower left side of the door.

Based on these photos it looks like I may need to change running boards and add a Superior door, leaving the Union Duplex fixture mini-kit for another project.

This leads to two questions.

Did all of the cars have their doors replaced with Superior doors by the mid-50s?

What type of steel running boards were used?

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows