TA&G 7006

Todd Horton

This is an odd bird, it appears to be a USRA rebuild that was stretched 10' and the roof was raised.  Note the 7/5/5 ends.

Has anyone run across any other cars like this before?

Todd Horton

Benjamin Hom

Todd Horton wrote:
"This is an odd bird, it appears to be a USRA rebuild that was stretched 10' and the roof was raised.  Note the 7/5/5 ends."

Disagree that this was originally a USRA boxcar.  Rebuilds that had increased height had their 5/5/5 ends spliced with a blank panel (RI) or added panel with one or two corrugations at the top (ATSF), and I know of no "stretched" SS/DS boxcar rebuilds.  This was originally a 50 ft car; my guess is this was originally a Great Northern 50 ft SS car.

Ben Hom

Todd Horton

Ben, what ends did the GN cars have?

Todd Horton

On Saturday, January 15, 2022, 06:53:13 PM EST, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Todd Horton wrote:
"This is an odd bird, it appears to be a USRA rebuild that was stretched 10' and the roof was raised.  Note the 7/5/5 ends."

Disagree that this was originally a USRA boxcar.  Rebuilds that had increased height had their 5/5/5 ends spliced with a blank panel (RI) or added panel with one or two corrugations at the top (ATSF), and I know of no "stretched" SS/DS boxcar rebuilds.  This was originally a 50 ft car; my guess is this was originally a Great Northern 50 ft SS car.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Todd Horton asked:
"Ben, what ends did the GN cars have?"

I'm hoping one of the GN guys chime in as my books are in storage, but I guessed GN as they did rebuild at least one series of 50 ft SS boxcars to all steel.  I'm a little less clear on if the cars did have 7/5/5 outward Murphy ends (some GN SS automobile cars had inward ends), but the original cars being automobile cars would explain the increased height.

Ben Hom

mopacfirst

Close, but no cigar.

Evidently more than one series of 50' single-sheathed boxcars was converted, since here's one with 6/5/5 outward Murphy ends.  Note also that it appears the method of attaching the new sides to the old frame appears different.  The number appears to be GN 39031.

Photo at Wichita on the Rock Island, 1970

Ron Merrick

Jim Gates

Possibly an ex ATSF Bx-40.

Jim Gates

On Saturday, January 15, 2022, 05:41:03 PM CST, Todd Horton via groups.io <toddchorton@...> wrote:

This is an odd bird, it appears to be a USRA rebuild that was stretched 10' and the roof was raised.  Note the 7/5/5 ends.

Has anyone run across any other cars like this before?

Todd Horton

Richard Remiarz

Ben,

The GN cars that I have photos of all had 6-5-5 ends.  This car has an extra narrow rib at the top of a 7-5-5 end.  Also, the steel-side rebuilds had 6 panels on each side of the door and not the 7 panels as shown in the photo.

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows

I'm hoping one of the GN guys chime in as my books are in storage, but I guessed GN as they did rebuild at least one series of 50 ft SS boxcars to all steel.  I'm a little less clear on if the cars did have 7/5/5 outward Murphy ends (some GN SS automobile cars had inward ends), but the original cars being automobile cars would explain the increased height.

Ben Hom

mopacfirst

I concur on the Santa Fe Bx-40.  See page 163 of the Santa Fe Railway Rolling Stock Reference Series, Volume. 4.

Ron Merrick

Todd Horton

Ron, what ends did these cars have?  I don't have any information on these cars.

Todd Horton

On Sunday, January 16, 2022, 08:53:07 AM EST, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

I concur on the Santa Fe Bx-40.  See page 163 of the Santa Fe Railway Rolling Stock Reference Series, Volume. 4.

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

The original, Fe-R had a 7/5/5 outward Murphy end, a radial roof and a fishbelly centersill.  I believe they were about 10'-0" inside height.  When the were rebuilt, 1942-43, they got a new upper end panel with one outward corrugation and a peaked roof contour.  That change to a peaked Murphy roof may explain why this panel was used instead of a flat piece, similarly to how the Bx-12 new end piece was added except that the Bx-12 was an inverse Dreadnought.  This left the Bx-40 as a 1/7/5/5 end.  I don't know if there are any photos on line.

Model wise, you'd probably have to splice this.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

On 1/16/2022 8:53 AM, mopacfirst wrote:
I concur on the Santa Fe Bx-40.  See page 163 of the Santa Fe Railway Rolling Stock Reference Series, Volume. 4.

Ron Merrick

Sterling, Massachusetts

Todd Horton

Thanks Tim for posting that photo !!!