Topics

Tangent Scale Models GATC 8,000 Gallon Insulated 1917-Design Radial Course Tank Car

Andy Carlson

Out west we had a large regional gasoline retail brand called Signal Oil Co. which started out by buying and reselling Well Head Gas which was the liquid found around the well (as Tim mentions) which burned well enough to be used on low compression engines which were the norm in those early days. Richard Hendrickson years ago gave me a photo of a Signal Company tank car. I believe that the company was bought out by standard Oil of California, but kept its independence all through the 1960s. It had a very cool company color logo of the old semaphore style of a traffic signal. Gas pumps, station road maps and company oil cans are quite collectable

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Saturday, November 28, 2020, 10:05:36 AM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Jeff

I think at that time they produced "NATURAL GASOLINE" - this was the highly volatile stuff that came
straight out of the ground. I'm guessing that insulated cars may have had less chance of volatiles leaking out?
Would such a car would be an ICC 104, instead of an insulated ICC 103
_._,_._,_