Topics

Tank Car help Identification

Seth Lakin

Group, if anyone can help me identify the white tank car that is behind the 2-D+D-2 "*800 Class" in the two slides that were recently listed on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Slide-CSS-SB-South-Shore-Little-Joe-802-Action-Michigan-City-IN-1970/312794664209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Slide-CSS-SB-South-Shore-Little-Joe-802-Action-Michigan-City-IN-1970/401851134960?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Builder, series, commodity, other photos of the cars would be helpful. Then a HO scale model, or kitbash start direction and decals. Any thing that can help in building a model of the tank.

Thanks
Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

David

Looks like an insulated high-pressure tank, so ICC class 105 most likely. The Atlas or Kadee tanks are a good starting point. The logo on the side is for Smith-Douglass, a Norfolk,VA-based fertilizer company. From a 1964 New York Times article:

"Besides its fertilizer production and animal feed supplements, Smith???Douglass makes phosphoric and sulphuric acid, nitrogenous tankage, anhydrous and aqua ammonia, superphosphate and silica fluorides, potashes, nitric acid and ground gypsum rock.

Its principal business is in the tobacco, cotton, peanut and truck growing areas of the South and the corn and wheat belt of the Middle West. It also makes insecticides, pesticides, herbicides and defoliants. Total assets approximate $58 million."

David Thompson

D. Scott Chatfield

From the ends of the tank body and the end sills I believe this is a UTLX pressure tank, a late model X-5 built in the early '50s.  Similar to the ACF cars Atlas and Kadee but with detail differences.  Closer to the Kadee because it should have Apex running boards.

As delivered the paint job was grey.  The car shot on the South Shore in 1970 appears to be a repaint.

Scott Chatfield

Thomas Birkett

It does look like a DOT 105, which are insulated and used for AA, anhydrous ammonia.
I have drawings of both ACF and GATX versions of this car in 11,000 gallon size . These drawings supported the building of cars in 1955 for Phillips Petroleum,  so the drawings are older than that. I  can copy and provide for detailing or scratch building. Contact me directly.
Tom Birkett, Bartlesville, OK.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone