Topics

Tank car parts

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Byron,
What ever happen to that tank car frame?

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
Digitrax DCC owner, Chief system
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

byronrose@...

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:08:17 -0800 "Jon Miller" <atsf@...> writes:
Byron,
What ever happen to that tank car frame?

Jon, you really know how to hurt a guy.

To answer your question though, it's in a box right next to the started
patterns for the Pennsy X-23.

BSR
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Richard Hendrickson

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:08:17 -0800 "Jon Miller" <atsf@...> writes:
Byron,
What ever happen to that tank car frame?

Jon, you really know how to hurt a guy.

To answer your question though, it's in a box right next to the started
patterns for the Pennsy X-23.
Well, Byron, we assume you know what the road to hell is paved with.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Richard,
Another tank question, P2K 10K UTLX. It's date is '47 which I will back
date to '37.

Anyway, the prototype cars were delivered with ARA cast steel trucks with
spring planks and would certainly have retained those trucks through 1941
(in fact, probably until the cars were retired). The closest HO scale truck
is the Accurail "Bettendorf" truck.<
Is this a generic statement for all the P2K 10K cars. Good thing I
bought a mess of those Accurail trucks on ebay<G>.

it's likely that in 1941 most of the DX cars still had KC brakes<
Would this statement apply to all or do we need to go on a owner by
owner basis.

Jeff Aley <jaley@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:08:17 -0800 "Jon Miller" <atsf@i...> writes:
Byron,
What ever happen to that tank car frame?

Jon, you really know how to hurt a guy.

To answer your question though, it's in a box right next to the
started
patterns for the Pennsy X-23.
Well, Byron, we assume you know what the road to hell is paved with.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520
What the heck is going on around here? First we get Byron's messages
re: Train Shed Cyclopedias that are not merely polite, but actually
nice; now we have Richard being an RPA! Have their email accounts
somehow become crossed???

:-)

-Jeff

Richard Hendrickson

Richard,
Another tank question, P2K 10K UTLX. It's date is '47 which I will back
date to '37.
Here you're in the realm of speculation. UTLX bought no 10K AC&F Type 21s
new; its cars of this type were acquired second-hand, and the UTLX entries
in the ORER are so sketchy that it's impossible to say when they were
acquired with any certainty. A lot of them came in the early 1930s as
various private owners (e.g., Skelly Oil) decided to unload their tank car
fleets and lease the cars back from UTL, but some came to the UTLX fleet as
late as the 1960s, when the Sinclair fleet went to UTL. I'm sure UTL owned
some 10K AC&F Type 21s by the late 1930s but I can only guess at what their
numbers may have been.

Anyway, the prototype cars were delivered with ARA cast steel trucks with
spring planks and would certainly have retained those trucks through 1941
(in fact, probably until the cars were retired). The closest HO scale truck
is the Accurail "Bettendorf" truck.<
Is this a generic statement for all the P2K 10K cars. Good thing I
bought a mess of those Accurail trucks on ebay<G>.
No. Some 10K AC&F Type 21s got cast steel trucks of various types, but
many were delivered with arch bar trucks and, in general, tank car owners
delayed replacing them until the mid-'41 deadline was almost upon them.
And when they finally did, a variety of cast steel trucks were applied,
though many were of the type represented by the Accurail truck. So it's
difficult to generalize.

it's likely that in 1941 most of the DX cars still had KC brakes<
Would this statement apply to all or do we need to go on a owner by
owner basis.
Generally true, though the major leasing companies like UTL were more
likely to make the conversion to ABs than private owners. Still, I'd say
that very few '20s vintage tank cars had been retrofitted with AB brakes by
1941.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Richard Hendrickson

wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:08:17 -0800 "Jon Miller" <atsf@i...> writes:
Byron,
What ever happen to that tank car frame?

Jon, you really know how to hurt a guy.

To answer your question though, it's in a box right next to the
started
patterns for the Pennsy X-23.
Well, Byron, we assume you know what the road to hell is paved with.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520
What the heck is going on around here? First we get Byron's messages
re: Train Shed Cyclopedias that are not merely polite, but actually
nice; now we have Richard being an RPA! Have their email accounts
somehow become crossed???
Jeff, does Byron deserve it or what? Anyway, I figure one of the reasons
we started this list is so we could could indulge in some occasional (and
good humored) off-topic flaming without being banished to Outer Mongolia by
brother Hosker.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520