Topics

Tank car projects

Andy Carlson

I don't believe that Tangent has made a 10000 gallon GATC tank car (yet). Years ago, I discovered that the ACF Type 27 10000 gallon tank was nearly identical in dimensions as the GATC built similar sized tanks. The wheel bases of the truck centers differed on the tank cars, meaning that the securing straps, which line up with the bolsters, would be different. So an Intermountain tank car, with molded on portions of these tie down straps would have to have these straps removed. I don't know if an IM 10K tank swap to a Tangent 8000 gallon tank car frame would be falling-off-a-cliff easy. Is there a deal killer to doing such a kit bash?

Regards,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Rich C

Andy, I know Tony Thompson did some cross-bashing with Intermountain and Athearn tankers. I believe he has that info in his blog.

Rich Christie

On Saturday, June 27, 2020, 08:59:31 PM CDT, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

I don't believe that Tangent has made a 10000 gallon GATC tank car (yet). Years ago, I discovered that the ACF Type 27 10000 gallon tank was nearly identical in dimensions as the GATC built similar sized tanks. The wheel bases of the truck centers differed on the tank cars, meaning that the securing straps, which line up with the bolsters, would be different. So an Intermountain tank car, with molded on portions of these tie down straps would have to have these straps removed. I don't know if an IM 10K tank swap to a Tangent 8000 gallon tank car frame would be falling-off-a-cliff easy. Is there a deal killer to doing such a kit bash?

Regards,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Richard Townsend

Without looking at the parts, I think the worst case might be having to lengthen the Tangent underframe. That would take two underframes. But the left-over ends could be used for a 4,000 gallon tank! Removing the molded-on tank straps would not be easy, but I think it's doable.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I don't believe that Tangent has made a 10000 gallon GATC tank car (yet). Years ago, I discovered that the ACF Type 27 10000 gallon tank was nearly identical in dimensions as the GATC built similar sized tanks. The wheel bases of the truck centers differed on the tank cars, meaning that the securing straps, which line up with the bolsters, would be different. So an Intermountain tank car, with molded on portions of these tie down straps would have to have these straps removed. I don't know if an IM 10K tank swap to a Tangent 8000 gallon tank car frame would be falling-off-a-cliff easy. Is there a deal killer to doing such a kit bash?

Regards,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tony Thompson

Rich Christie wrote:

Andy, I know Tony Thompson did some cross-bashing with Intermountain and Athearn tankers. I believe he has that info in his blog.

    Actually, the modeling description was an article in Railroad Model Craftsman, published back in July 2011. I don't have a scan of the article, but do have a PDF of what I sent to RMC, if anyone is interested. It is a fairly big PDF, about 5 MB, in case that might be a challenge.
     Here's a blog post about the article. The Athearn part of the tank swap was a shortened "chemical" insulated car.

Tony Thompson

Tangent Scale Models

Andy Carlson wrote: "I don't believe that Tangent has made a 10000 gallon GATC tank car (yet). "

Andy, Tangent has a website and this page shows our 1917-design tanks with 10,000 gallon radial course tanks.  https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-10000-gallon-1917-design-radial-course-tank-car/   It is at the bottom of the cars available page since this model is sold out at this time.  You can go here to see the models that exist out there probably on people's shelves:  https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/sold-out/sold-out-general-american-1917-design-10000-gallon-non-insulated-tank-car/

The Type 27 ACF tanks have the long longitudinal courses and could be placed on a Tangent Type 17 underframe - to create a model of a GATC 1922-design tank.  Some shots of one of these online:
TWOX http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=874265

From the steam era, there are other schemes like Union Oil of California and British American, but that is a start.  Note the center of the car banding present on the GATC builds that is not present on the ACF builds from 1927 but those bands are modelable...

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Tangent Scale Models

Incidentally, I was recently in a brick and mortar shop that had one each of the Tangent Scale Modesl Humble and Sinclair 10,000 GATC 1917-Design tank cars.  In case anyone is interested in those, please contact me OFF LIST and I will get you a shop name.  These 2 schemes have been sold out for approximately 2 years.

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Randy Hammill

Sure they did:

https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-10000-gallon-1917-design-radial-course-tank-car/

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com