Topics

Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503


Richard Wilkens
 

U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?

Richard Wilkens


mel perry
 

helium
:-)
mel perry


On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 5:37 PM Richard Wilkens <railsnw123@...> wrote:
U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?

Richard Wilkens

Attachments:


Tony Thompson
 

Richard Wilkens wrote:

U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?

     Cars like that, with those removable tanks, were normally chlorine cars, but other compressed gasses could certainly be shipped that way. The tanks, known as "one-ton tanks," presumably by weight of tank plus cargo, could be separately distributed to buyers.

Tony Thompson




Ian Cranstone
 

Cars of this type usually were in chlorine service, each canister held 1 ton.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

 


On 2020-06-08 20:37, Richard Wilkens wrote:

U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?

Richard Wilkens


John Barry
 

As Ian and Tony have stated, most likely Chlorine which was required to be placarded as a poison gas.  Your photo captures said placard so you can infer that the car was loaded when you shot it.

John Barry
 
ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736


On Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:02:29 PM EDT, Ian Cranstone <lamontc@...> wrote:


Cars of this type usually were in chlorine service, each canister held 1 ton.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

 


On 2020-06-08 20:37, Richard Wilkens wrote:

U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?

Richard Wilkens


Mont Switzer
 

John,

 

Unless the HM regulations were different back then the placards have to remain on the car whether loaded or empty to cover the residue.  However, there may have been a slightly different placard for the residue back then.

 

Mont Switzer


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of John Barry [northbaylines@...]
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2020 10:11 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503

As Ian and Tony have stated, most likely Chlorine which was required to be placarded as a poison gas.  Your photo captures said placard so you can infer that the car was loaded when you shot it.

John Barry
 
ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736


On Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:02:29 PM EDT, Ian Cranstone <lamontc@...> wrote:


Cars of this type usually were in chlorine service, each canister held 1 ton.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

 


On 2020-06-08 20:37, Richard Wilkens wrote:

U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?

Richard Wilkens


Mont Switzer
 

Handling chlorine cylinders (called "tons") is nasty business.  One reason for so many of these miniature pressure vessels is should there be a leak (chlorine gas) you are only dealing with 2000 lbs of product. 

 

Once unloaded from the car, the "tons" are easy to distribute to multiple locations where the product is used.  A lot of them go into water treatment.

 

Mont Switzer     


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of Mont Switzer [MSwitzer@...]
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 8:49 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503

John,

 

Unless the HM regulations were different back then the placards have to remain on the car whether loaded or empty to cover the residue.  However, there may have been a slightly different placard for the residue back then.

 

Mont Switzer


From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of John Barry [northbaylines@...]
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2020 10:11 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503

As Ian and Tony have stated, most likely Chlorine which was required to be placarded as a poison gas.  Your photo captures said placard so you can infer that the car was loaded when you shot it.

John Barry
 
ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736


On Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:02:29 PM EDT, Ian Cranstone <lamontc@...> wrote:


Cars of this type usually were in chlorine service, each canister held 1 ton.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada
lamontc@...

 


On 2020-06-08 20:37, Richard Wilkens wrote:

U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?

Richard Wilkens


Bill Welch
 

This would make a great Resin kit. The cylinders could have a cavity molded in to accommodate weights.

Bill Welch


gastro42000 <martincooper@...>
 

Hi: it also makes a nice brass car, but very heavy. Marty Cooper 

On June 9, 2020 at 9:15 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

This would make a great Resin kit. The cylinders could have a cavity molded in to accommodate weights.

Bill Welch

 


Bill Welch
 

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:56 AM, gastro42000 wrote:
<!doctype html>
Hi: it also makes a nice brass car, but very heavy. Marty Cooper 
 
 I do not find brass cars that interesting Marty, often fine detail is overdone. A lot depends on the manufacturer's/importer's standards and demands in terms of quality.
welchWith a resin kit I am in charge of accuracy and fineness.
Bill Welch
 


Tony Thompson
 

Marty Cooper wrote:

Hi: it also makes a nice brass car, but very heavy. Marty Cooper 

     There was at least one brass version which had turned aluminum tanks.

Tony Thompson




gastro42000 <martincooper@...>
 


On June 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:  po

Marty Cooper wrote:hi: yep. I wanted one, I got one. It makes a nice static display, but it is too heavy to run without pulling the rest of the cars off the track. Marty Cooper 

Hi: it also makes a nice brass car, but very heavy. Marty Cooper 

     There was at least one brass version which had turned aluminum tanks.

Tony Thompson




 


Bruce A. Metcalf
 

On 6/8/20 8:37 PM, Richard Wilkens wrote:

U.S. Army Tank Car USAX 16503 at Taylor Yard in Los Angeles on May 24, 1958. Wonder what nasty stuff was in those tanks?
From the shape of the tanks, the "Poison Gas" placards, and my many young hours spent on the catwalk above Taylor, my guess would be chlorine.

Cheers,
Bruce A. Metcalf


Paul Koehler
 

All:

 

Not true, MTS Brass car with the Aluminum tanks, I can run anywhere in a train and any length train.  Three cars to over thirty, as you can see it’s first out in front of the caboose in this train.

 

Paul C. Koehler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gastro42000
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 11:34 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io; Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503

 

 

On June 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:  po

Marty Cooper wrote:hi: yep. I wanted one, I got one. It makes a nice static display, but it is too heavy to run without pulling the rest of the cars off the track. Marty Cooper 



Hi: it also makes a nice brass car, but very heavy. Marty Cooper 

 

     There was at least one brass version which had turned aluminum tanks.

 

Tony Thompson

 

 

 


 


mel perry
 

i believe, in the real world, that's a no-no
mel perry


On Wed, Jun 10, 2020, 10:16 AM Paul Koehler <koehlers@...> wrote:

All:

 

Not true, MTS Brass car with the Aluminum tanks, I can run anywhere in a train and any length train.  Three cars to over thirty, as you can see it’s first out in front of the caboose in this train.

 

Paul C. Koehler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gastro42000
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 11:34 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io; Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503

 

 

On June 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:  po

Marty Cooper wrote:hi: yep. I wanted one, I got one. It makes a nice static display, but it is too heavy to run without pulling the rest of the cars off the track. Marty Cooper 



Hi: it also makes a nice brass car, but very heavy. Marty Cooper 

 

     There was at least one brass version which had turned aluminum tanks.

 

Tony Thompson

 

 

 


 

Attachments:


Allen Cain
 

All else fails, place it directly behind the engine then the other cars will not be impacted.  

But if all cars are properly weighted to NMRA standards, I would not think that there would be a problem unless the curve radius are REALLY tight?

Just my 2 cents.

Allen Cain


Tony Thompson
 

mel perry wrote:

i believe, in the real world, that's a no-no

  In later years, yes. In the 1950s, no.

Tony Thompson




Paul Koehler
 

Mel:

 

What’s a no no?  Can you site a Tariff or special instructions?  Thanks

 

Paul C. Koehler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of mel perry
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 10:21 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503

 

i believe, in the real world, that's a no-no

mel perry

 

 

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020, 10:16 AM Paul Koehler <koehlers@...> wrote:

All:

 

Not true, MTS Brass car with the Aluminum tanks, I can run anywhere in a train and any length train.  Three cars to over thirty, as you can see it’s first out in front of the caboose in this train.

 

Paul C. Koehler

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gastro42000
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 11:34 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io; Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car United States Army USAX 16503

 

 

On June 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:  po

Marty Cooper wrote:hi: yep. I wanted one, I got one. It makes a nice static display, but it is too heavy to run without pulling the rest of the cars off the track. Marty Cooper 

 

Hi: it also makes a nice brass car, but very heavy. Marty Cooper 

 

     There was at least one brass version which had turned aluminum tanks.

 

Tony Thompson

 

 

 


 

Attachments:


mel perry
 

i stand corrected, apparently in the 50's
railroader's were expendable, wonder
what changed that thinking? OSHA?
mel perry


On Wed, Jun 10, 2020, 12:01 PM Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:
mel perry wrote:

i believe, in the real world, that's a no-no

  In later years, yes. In the 1950s, no.

Tony Thompson




Tony Thompson
 

mel perry wrote:

i stand corrected, apparently in the 50's
railroader's were expendable, wonder
what changed that thinking? OSHA?

   Not expendable, but expected to use common sense on their own. Occasional failures to do so led to OSHA.

Tony Thompson