Topics

tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

In the image linked below, we get a view of tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Some extra image data can be seen at the link below...

Note the image is mirror reversed.

I'm not a tank car expert, but I suspect this particular car was built to a GATX design - am I correct?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Bruce Smith

Claus,

I am not certain, but yes, the car has GATC features and may have been built by General American for UTL, or for a previous owner. I’d like to see more of the ends and bolsters before making a public commitment to that :)  The near car appears to be a UTLX built insulated/pressurized car of significantly larger capacity.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith            

Auburn, AL

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

On Nov 20, 2019, at 8:10 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

In the image linked below, we get a view of tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

I'm not a tank car expert, but I suspect this particular car was built to a GATX design - am I correct?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

UTLX 45622 appears in the 1955 Tank Car Tariff with 7900 gallons capacity and a 207 gallon dome; a simple tanker with no heater.  Further, to me, it seems a near-dead-on match for the Tangent General American 1917-Design 8000 gallon Tank Car 19005-01 model.  Only the KC brakes and the trucks on the model are different.

Regards from Grove City, Penna----Mike Schleigh 

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 09:11:24 AM EST, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

In the image linked below, we get a view of tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Steve and Barb Hile

I will agree with Mike, with one small exception.  Cars in this series did have heaters.  The pairs of rivets along the lower half of the tank sides are a clue, confirmed in the 1952 UTLX listing.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:49 AM
To: STMFC; main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Hello Group!

UTLX 45622 appears in the 1955 Tank Car Tariff with 7900 gallons capacity and a 207 gallon dome; a simple tanker with no heater.  Further, to me, it seems a near-dead-on match for the Tangent General American 1917-Design 8000 gallon Tank Car 19005-01 model.  Only the KC brakes and the trucks on the model are different.

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 09:11:24 AM EST, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Schleigh Mike

Agreed, Steve,

The photo shows the heater bracket rivets but the Tariff is silent regarding their presence.  Perhaps the 7900 gallonage (less than 8K) suggests the heaters are present but no longer functional.

I note that your book (UTLX - Steam Era Tank Cars), pages 128 & 129, illustrate two former owners that might be origins of the 45622.

I am grateful for both books----Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 10:49:47 AM EST, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

I will agree with Mike, with one small exception.  Cars in this series did have heaters.  The pairs of rivets along the lower half of the tank sides are a clue, confirmed in the 1952 UTLX listing.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:49 AM
To: STMFC; main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Hello Group!

Hi List Members,

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund