To: STMFC
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2021 10:51 AM
Subject: PRR class X26 USRA ss boxcar in 1948

Hi List Members,

A great view of a gritty 1948 industrial scene. A PRR class X26 USRA ss boxcar is visible. Note the original wooden door has been replaced with a steel door by this time. Also note the switch engine hiding between the cuts of cars, a switchman is standing by to help out with whatever needs to still be done. This would make a great scene on a model railroad, don't you think? I also like the damaged brick wall - both on the prototype and on any model this would beg the question  - what happened there? Did a careless forklift operator back the thing right thru the wall coming from the loading dock side?

Use the "Pan and Zoom" tool to get closer to the action.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

CJ Riley

It looks like the brickwork joints on the left side were roughly and crudely repointed to repair water damage. If not properly cleaned, usually with Muriatic acid, a light coating from the mortar could remain. Something to consider modeling on purpose rather than the oft seen over coating from too much modelers mortar (paint or whatever).

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Additional info, HMHX reporting marks apparently are used by "Tank Car Corporation of America". I've not been able to determine how many cars they owned, nor have I been able to find any specifics on car HMHX 6012.

Claus Schlund

I believe this scene linked below shows us the track that the switch engine is standing on in the link I mentioned in my prior email...

Besides the interesting industrial scene, we get a view of tank cars GATX 22909 and HMHX 6012 in 1949

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

A great view of a gritty 1948 industrial scene. A PRR class X26 USRA ss boxcar is visible. Note the original wooden door has been replaced with a steel door by this time. Also note the switch engine hiding between the cuts of cars, a switchman is standing by to help out with whatever needs to still be done. This would make a great scene on a model railroad, don't you think? I also like the damaged brick wall - both on the prototype and on any model this would beg the question  - what happened there? Did a careless forklift operator back the thing right thru the wall coming from the loading dock side?

Use the "Pan and Zoom" tool to get closer to the action.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Richard Townsend

HMHX 6012 had a capacity of 5,633 gallons. The three compartments had capacities of 1879, 1880, and 1874 gallons. Each expansion dome was 125 gallons. In the 1955 tank car tariff Tank Car Corporation of America listed 237 tank cars. 15 of them were 3 compartment, four were 2 compartment, and the rest were single compartment. Based in Oreland, PA.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

I think I figured out the location of this photo. (a side hobby of mine.) Comparing the caption with some aerial photos from 1940, I believe it's here:
https://www.historicaerials.com/location/39.923104769766795/-75.14592497524838/1940/18

Here it is on Google Maps. https://goo.gl/maps/cqGJPgPLf22FD7Sf9  If it's not honing in, the photographer would be standing just about where the exit for the Acme parking lot at 29 Snyder Ave is, facing NW.
--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

ed_mines

my guess is that the three compartment tank car contained refinery products used in smaller quantities like lube oils.

everywhere that I've lived there were tank farms by water. for a couple of years I worked next to a tank farm located on the Hudson river. I assumed the tanks contained home heating oil, diesel fuel and gasoline. the petroleum products were delivered by a ship.

when the water was frozen, were these tanks resupplied by railroad tank cars?

I once supervised loaded a tank car with an expensive chemical used to make mosquito repellent. Considering the difficulty in filling the car with liquid I'd say many tank cars were dedicated to one load. Tank cars used for transporting crude oil might be blown out with steam and used for fuel oil, maybe gasoline or kerosene.

in a similar vein hopper car loads sometimes got wet and froze. when thawed was coal added to the huge coal towers where it might refreeze?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Thanks Richard for the great info!

I was able to turn up a bit more more info as well. From the Dec1930 ORER...

HMHX  1000-1009  Cap 10000 gal 100000 lb
HMHX  8000-8005  Cap  8000 gal  80000 lb
HMHX  8006-8011  Cap  8000 gal  60000 lb
HMHX 12001       Cap 12029 gal 100000 lb

This gives a grand total of 23 cars in Dec 1930 - obviously the company grew in size between 1930 and 1955!

Equally obvious is that the car in the photo (6012) was acquired after Dec 1930 but before the 1949 date of the photo

I think I can see the lettering "AC&F CO" at the extreme right end of the tank side.

Claus Schlund