Topics

TC boxes & SOU 52'6" gon (was C of G 56309)

Jim King

Neither the TC boxes (there were 2 variations) nor the Southern 52’6” gon were good sellers for me, which contributed to my decision to leave HO resin kit production and sell the entire product line to Wright Trak Models about 8 years ago.  I was told by more than a couple modelers that the Tangent gon, which debuted just before my kit, was too similar to the SOU gon to “justify” buying more cars/kits.  Southern’s cars were built in 2 batches (1953 and ’57) and ran long into the 90s hauling ties, etc.  I’ve heard that D&RGW had identical cars but I never researched that.  The gon patterns are now owned by SRHA.

The TC kits were a mixture of new designs (roof, ends and doors) with Intermountain body and underframe (used with their permission).  W&LE/NKP modelers can use the as-built TC car, too, but I didn’t offer decals at that time.  Greg King at Southbound Model Works owns those patterns and is planning to bring out the W&LE/NKP cars as time (and market demand) dictate.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

Tim O'Connor

I liked your gondola very much!

Rock Island had PS-5 gondolas with the same side rib pattern as the Southern cars -- but they appear
to be slightly taller and have different ends.

Western Maryland had this car which looks a lot like the Southern car to me.

On 7/20/2020 6:12 PM, Jim King wrote:

[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

O Fenton Wells

I like the black gon. I and doing the WLE 1923 ARA version

On Jul 20, 2020, at 6:12 PM, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

[...]

For some reason I’m on a 1923 ARA kick. Besides the PRR x29s I plan to do the DTI, W&LE, LNE and I’ve done the diagonal panel roof and the CNJ so I had to do a Hutchins Dry Lading roof for that one.
I’ll send photos