Topics

Teens and Twenties shipments of Ford cars via box cars

Charles

Here is a link to a lot of info and photos about the process:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/399443.html?1383834795

The autos were partially disassembled to fit more into each box car.

Charley Hepperle

Here's what looks to me to be Studebakers "stuffed" into a Santa Fe drop bottom gondola. Think these autos only included everything from firewall back, i.e. no motor, body & chassis in front of it. Studebaker had a plant on Los Angeles Junction Ry till it closed in 1956.  A fellow LAJ modeler. Tony Debates,  made the Studebaker plant for his layout (attached).
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Kenneth Montero

One of my model railroad friends, Alan Mende, who also is a Studebaker collector, had the following additions to Andy's photo:

These appear to be 1954 Studebaker bodies because it was that year that Studebaker started building station wagons.  The brownish bodies are the wagons.  The rest are either coupes (with a B pillar) or hardtops (without a B pillar).  I like Tony's model.  He can get HO scale Studebaker cars and trucks through Sylvan Scale Models.  They make the bullet nose Studebakers as well as the 1953 hardtops and early 50s trucks in many body styles.

From Ken Montero

On 09/04/2020 4:37 PM Andy Jackson <lajrmdlr@...> wrote:

Here's what looks to me to be Studebakers "stuffed" into a Santa Fe drop bottom gondola. Think these autos only included everything from firewall back, i.e. no motor, body & chassis in front of it. Studebaker had a plant on Los Angeles Junction Ry till it closed in 1956.  A fellow LAJ modeler. Tony Debates,  made the Studebaker plant for his layout (attached).
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Ken,

Alloy Forms used to offer a cast metal Studebaker kit, but it isn't on their current web pages. IIRC, these were 1950 Studebaker Champion two-door coupes, one of those cars with the really weird curved back window. Of course there was no plastic window insert in the kit. I've still got at least one around here someplace, and it's still in the package since I couldn't figure out how to do that rear window. Maybe someday it will appear in a junkyard scene.

It might be getting off topic here, but I learned to drive in a 1962 Lark.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 5:56 PM Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:
One of my model railroad friends, Alan Mende, who also is a Studebaker collector, had the following additions to Andy's photo:

These appear to be 1954 Studebaker bodies because it was that year that Studebaker started building station wagons.  The brownish bodies are the wagons.  The rest are either coupes (with a B pillar) or hardtops (without a B pillar).  I like Tony's model.  He can get HO scale Studebaker cars and trucks through Sylvan Scale Models.  They make the bullet nose Studebakers as well as the 1953 hardtops and early 50s trucks in many body styles.

From Ken Montero

On 09/04/2020 4:37 PM Andy Jackson <lajrmdlr@...> wrote:

Here's what looks to me to be Studebakers "stuffed" into a Santa Fe drop bottom gondola. Think these autos only included everything from firewall back, i.e. no motor, body & chassis in front of it. Studebaker had a plant on Los Angeles Junction Ry till it closed in 1956.  A fellow LAJ modeler. Tony Debates,  made the Studebaker plant for his layout (attached).
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

James Cummings

I believe Sylvan offers a 1950's Studebaker also.

Are these Studebakers in this Santa Fe drop bottom gondola?