The Helium Industry on the Santa Fe Railway - Tank Cars and Videos

qmp211

Greetings

Recently Frank Schultz sent the following informational links about the helium industry. The videos are very nicely done and well worth your time. The link to Jay’s handout will be found at the end of the Part 4 video. Jay’s handout has a roster, equipment usage timeline and a drawing for the 1942 U.S.N.X Helium tank car. The machine shop tour is a bonus.

Hard copies of Jay’s research material including drawings are at the Springer Archives in Temple, Texas.

Randy Danniel

"FEATURED VIDEOS – By Renaissance Man, Jay Miller.  Jay continues his outstanding professional-quality productions based on extremely well-researched history with many rare photos, his remarkable family, the AT&SF and much more.  All of these are fascinating and include a lot that I didn’t know about Helium.  (I’ve passed the Helium Museum in Amarillo many times, but never went in as I thought all it had was a bunch of antique Helium atoms floating-around or mounted on display boards.):  “

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 1 of 4 – Natural Gas to Airships

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 2 of 4 – Helium Plants

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 3 of 4 – The Helium Tank Cars

Helium Operations on the Santa Fe Railway Part 4 of 4 – Modeling the Helium Tank Cars (and more)

Railroad Machine Shop Tour & History of Miller Machine Works & Miller Brothers: 1885 to the Present

Scott

Fantastic videos!  Thanks for sharing them!

Scott McDonald

Charles Greene

I'll second Scott's enthusiasm. I haven't watched the helium subject videos yet, but I have looked at the Milller Bros. production. It was absolutely captivating since so much of it centers on what for me were the "golden" years of railroading: the early 20th century. The views of workaday railroading during that time are super!  Also, that unusual AT&SF mallet is fascinating to ponder. The incidental details are wonderful, too: I have a stiff-leg derrick kit I bought a long time ago thinking I could incorporate it into the 1920s-era I model. I've hesitated to include it, though, because the few photos I've seen of them were taken in earlier times. However, the Miller Bros. video shows one with operator at the crank in the view of a 1946 passenger bus being off-loaded from an end-door boxcar. So those derricks stuck around!

          -Chuck Greene

Charles Greene

Whoops! That derrick shows up in Bob Chaparro's submission on 5/30/21 of the end-door boxcar, not in the Miller Bros. video....

        -Chuck