Topics

The New York Central in 1928-1929

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Some may enjoy this video - the title sez it all: "The New York Central in 1928-1929"

At times the camera is on the roof of a freight car, giving us good view of - you guessed it - freight car roofs.

These is a short but nice segment showing one of what was then probably brand new NYC container service in New York City street trackage.

Plenty of freight cars to go around!

Note that despite the date, this is the real sound from the scene being photographed, not just something the movie makers tacked on.

Claus Schlund

vapeurchapelon

Hello Claus,

many thanks for sharing! Interesting video - and indeed fascinating being with the real sound!
Also the scene in Manhattan with the officer managing the traffic - just great!

Many greetings

Johannes
modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Freitag, 28. Februar 2020 um 16:20 Uhr
Von: "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...>
An: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] The New York Central in 1928-1929
Hi List Members,

Some may enjoy this video - the title sez it all: "The New York Central in 1928-1929"

At times the camera is on the roof of a freight car, giving us good view of - you guessed it - freight car roofs.

These is a short but nice segment showing one of what was then probably brand new NYC container service in New York City street trackage.

Plenty of freight cars to go around!

Note that despite the date, this is the real sound from the scene being photographed, not just something the movie makers tacked on.

Claus Schlund

spsalso

I cannot think of a more pleasant exercise than being atop a boxcar in frigid winter weather cranking a "movie machine".  Wow.  The fun!.

That said.

I saw a NYC locomotive numbered 1904, in the street scenes.  I am only slightly intrigued, being a Northwestern kind of guy.  But yet.  Pretty damn cool.

Anyone of a more northeastern bent have thoughts on this locomotive?  Is it a Shay?

And, by the way, I am VERY impressed at the quality of this film.  "Hats off" to the lucky winner who got to climb the ladders on the rolling stock.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Ed,

The NYC had several enclosed Shay locomotives for use on their West Side Freight Line (pulling freight cars, mandatory content). They have been written about a number of times in the railfan press. Here is photo of one that came up at the top of an internet search: https://www.railarchive.net/nyccollection/nyc7189.htm .

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 1:23 AM spsalso via Groups.Io <Edwardsutorik=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I cannot think of a more pleasant exercise than being atop a boxcar in frigid winter weather cranking a "movie machine".  Wow.  The fun!.

That said.

I saw a NYC locomotive numbered 1904, in the street scenes.  I am only slightly intrigued, being a Northwestern kind of guy.  But yet.  Pretty damn cool.

Anyone of a more northeastern bent have thoughts on this locomotive?  Is it a Shay?

And, by the way, I am VERY impressed at the quality of this film.  "Hats off" to the lucky winner who got to climb the ladders on the rolling stock.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

spsalso

I "found" NYC 1904.

It was an 0-6-0T Dummy.  Built as NYC&HR 10 in September of 1914.  Retired December 1932.

Ed

Edward Sutorik