Topics

There's the OMI Wabash steel dd car...eh NOT

Fred Jansz

Received my OMI 'Wabash' steel dd boxcar today...NOT.
This 'wooden' ss beauty was in the box.
It reminds me of something, but not a steel Wabash dd car.
Any idea what it might be?
regards
Fred Jansz

Joseph

Looks SPish.   Maybe a B-50-??   5-5-5 ends tho....
Joe Binish

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 10:05 AM Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:
Received my OMI 'Wabash' steel dd boxcar today...NOT.
This 'wooden' ss beauty was in the box.
It reminds me of something, but not a steel Wabash dd car.
Any idea what it might be?
regards
Fred Jansz

Benjamin Hom

Fred Jansz asked:
"Received my OMI 'Wabash' steel dd boxcar today...NOT.  This 'wooden' SS beauty was in the box.  It reminds me of something, but not a steel Wabash DD car.  Any idea what it might be?"

Notes from Chet French, posted on the Steam Era Freight Cars website:
" In 1941, the Wabash converted 239 of the 46000 series auto cars to 6' door cars and numbered them 76000-76238.  The roster showed 93 car remaining as of July 1, 1957.  They looked similar to the 74000 series 6' door cars converted from the 40000 series auto cars."

Ben Hom

Paul Doggett

Definitely not SP

Paul Doggett

On 31 Oct 2019, at 15:04, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Received my OMI 'Wabash' steel dd boxcar today...NOT.
This 'wooden' ss beauty was in the box.
It reminds me of something, but not a steel Wabash dd car.
Any idea what it might be?
regards
Fred Jansz

Attachments:

Fred Jansz

Thank you Ben! It's a 76000-series car indeed.
According to BT, OMI made a few variations, probably the previous owner grabbed the wrong box.
Now let's see if I can score that steel dd car too!
regards
Fred Jansz
(© picture Brasstrains)

WILLIAM PARDIE

Fred this car was converted from the double  door auto car.  I have both cars.  The Overland car was well done except for the underframe.  After Lysle last year I drove down to the Monticello Rail Museum where they had an auto car.  Wouldn't you know that my camera battery was dead when I got there.  Did get some photos on my phone.

I questioned the single door version a few years ago on this list and got a great photo from  one of the members.

I have more information at home but am currently having my morning coffee in San Francisco.  Will be home on the weekend if you need any more information.

Bill Pardie

Received my OMI 'Wabash' steel dd boxcar today...NOT.
This 'wooden' ss beauty was in the box.
It reminds me of something, but not a steel Wabash dd car.
Any idea what it might be?
regards
Fred Jansz

Tim O'Connor

Fred

Overland imported original and rebuilt cars, including a single door version.

On 10/31/2019 11:04 AM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Received my OMI 'Wabash' steel dd boxcar today...NOT.
This 'wooden' ss beauty was in the box.
It reminds me of something, but not a steel Wabash dd car.
Any idea what it might be?
regards
Fred Jansz

Attachments: