Topics

Those interested in stock cars and their associated stock yards

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Those interested in stock cars and their associated stock yards may want to have a look at this site...

Good images of the stock yards, some stock cars, handling of sheep and pigs, but the site is real heavy on adversizing.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Thomas Evans

Oooh! - look at those Milwaukee Road (CMStP&P) double-deck stock cars with roof hatches no less.
Explanation of the roof hatches?  Anything put through them couldn't get down to the lower deck.

Tom

Bob Chaparro

Livestock Car With Roof Hatches

The first photo on the link is (to me) very interesting as it raises several questions:

https://alchetron.com/cdn/union-stock-yards-fbd57413-559b-4587-9245-93f1c9ffec5-resize-750.jpeg

My take on the hatches is that for these particular cars the hatches were for feeding and watering the stock. But there seem to be a problem.

These are double deck cars so unless there was a way to retract the upper level the hatches would not allow feeding and watering for the lower level, or the loading of bulk commodities for non-livestock transport.

Does anyone know more about these particular cars?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

James SANDIFER

I don’t KNOW that this is the answer. This is a very early photo, probably 1900. Note the cars have no corner posts and the trusses are stuck in pockets like those on a flat car. Some of the early cars had an upper deck that could be removed or manually lowed by human beings by removing cross bracing. IF that was the case with these, they could be used for backhaul of coal or coke. Santa Fe cars with roof hatches were regularly used for coal, coke, and sugar beets, however none of those were double deck.

J. Stephen Sandifer

The first photo on the link is (to me) very interesting as it raises several questions:

https://alchetron.com/cdn/union-stock-yards-fbd57413-559b-4587-9245-93f1c9ffec5-resize-750.jpeg

My take on the hatches is that for these particular cars the hatches were for feeding and watering the stock. But there seem to be a problem.

These are double deck cars so unless there was a way to retract the upper level the hatches would not allow feeding and watering for the lower level, or the loading of bulk commodities for non-livestock transport.

Does anyone know more about these particular cars?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Rupert Gamlen

Bob

I don’t know about these particular cars but the CB&Q built some double deck stock cars in 1905-6, class SM-2 numbered 51990-51999 (renumbered in 1914-5 to 60650-60659) with
SEC Universal / Eyler's adjustable decks, which could be raised to create a single deck car.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ

The first photo on the link is (to me) very interesting as it raises several questions:

https://alchetron.com/cdn/union-stock-yards-fbd57413-559b-4587-9245-93f1c9ffec5-resize-750.jpeg

My take on the hatches is that for these particular cars the hatches were for feeding and watering the stock. But there seem to be a problem.

These are double deck cars so unless there was a way to retract the upper level the hatches would not allow feeding and watering for the lower level, or the loading of bulk commodities for non-livestock transport.

Does anyone know more about these particular cars?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

They are early CMSTP stockcars, perhaps as early as the 1880s. See attached photo taken at Murdo SD shows car with roof hatches. And a photo of double deck car 8327, the caption mentions the cars have roof hatches. It’s possible the second deck was removeable, some cars were built that way, where the floor came out in sections. Convertible cars had the second deck supported with cables or chains so it could be raised to roof creating. These MILW cars do not.

Prior to 1906 many companies and railroads designed features in stockcars with intentions to feed animals while in transit, ie the common roof hatches. It didn’t work. The 1906 28 hr law was created to feed and rest livestock outside the car because the 1874 law was ineffective in preventing animal injuries and death while in transit. The 1906 was a beefed up version that had teeth, no longer were animals feed in transit.

The Santa Fe built stockcars with dual purpose, the roof hatches used to load coal or coke for return loads and off season use.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

I looked up #8327 in various on-line OREG/ORER's and found:

This series was not there in 1891
In series 8267-~8999 listed as "Palace" with no indication that they were double-deck in 1893-1894-1895
In sub-series 8267-8681 listed as double-deck as part of series 8267-8965 listed as "Stable" in 1897-1905.
1909-1911 are similar designated class R
class SB in 1913, but after 1905 it doesn't really differentiate between single & double deck cars.
Then I got tired of looking!

My take-away here is that these double-deck cars with roof hatches were built as single-deck Palace cars with roof hatched for feeding etc in about 1892.
Some time around 1896 they became "stable" cars, feeding was discontinued, some were rebuilt as double-deck cars, but the roof hatches were not removed.
They then lasted into the teens.

What do any of you think? - Tom E.

Douglas Harding

Good work Tom. Palace and Stable are certainly names affiliated with stockcars. The Arms Palace company being a builder.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org