From: Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...>
Date: 1/12/22 1:39 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Cocoa Beach 2022

Andy,  It appears that at some near future time there will be rail commuter service between
Orlando International and somewhere near Cocoa Beach.  Cocoa, (as not Cocoa Beach), is
supposed to become a stop on the Brightline.  I saw construction underway this last
weekend.
So when the current troubles permit safe flying again, that obstacle will be lessened.
Would like to see you again someday.
Chuck Peck

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 5:58 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

After the decline, and the later end of Chicago "Sons-of-Naperville", I felt that Mike Brock's Cocoa Beach was due to be the replacement. It has a similar vibe, is well organized and has steady growing participation.  Several things I felt were hindering C.B., mostly was its location. After removing the pluses of the traditional warmer climate of Florida, the great distance from the closet international airport combined with rudimentary public transport forcing a car rental almost certain, all which makes Florida a less ideal venue for an RPM meet. Add to the Orlando air fare's higher prices and we see a C.B. trip is more expensive then the Chicago meets.

I have personally ruled out air flights for CV-19 reasons, and for me a cross country drive to Florida from California is daunting. The most recent Collinsville RPM meet (2021), a friend of mine paired up with me on renting a car and we took a 2 week road trip which in looking back was of greater total enjoyment with Collinsville being an icing-on-the-cake treat.

Because of my self-imposed ban on air flights, my chances to attend next year's Cocoa Beach remains in Jeopardy. Looking back, Martin's choice for venue and time was genius. The post-Martin meets were on an impressive upswing and the loss certainly severe for me.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA