Thoughts on PFE Orange

WILLIAM PARDIE

Having been a lifelong Southern Pacific modeler I have witnessed  many incarnations of PFE models. Early Silver Streak kits had prepainted sides.  I don't recall anyone questioning the color. Varuous manufacturers of pa
laatic models offered
prepainted models.  An article by Richard Hendrickson on a 1970's Prototyoe Modeler had me carving up a Trains Miniature model .With the advent of the Tichey refers we began to be more sophisticated with our modeling expectations.

In searching my memory bank I recall that at one point Datyight Orange was recommended as the preferred PFE color.  Of course Floquil and Scale coat Daylight Orange are different.  I have settled on Floquil over the years. I'm sure that the Pantone wheel has value but I' sure if some of our top modelers gathered to debate the results it would be difficult to reach agreement.

So what is a modeler to do?   I would suggest that we all select a color that we are comfortable with.
Sihnce most of us weather our models the base color is going to change.  I'm sure that if some of our top modelers bought their PFE models to an RPM meet and created a PFE fruit block we would all be in awe of the train and nobody (well almost nobody) would question the base color.

Bill Pardie

Jerry Michels

Well said Bill.  Unless there is a reason to reproduce a fleet of freight cars, reefers included, in their as-delivered scheme, the base color is not terribly important.  A spectrum of color representing the effects of weathering produces much more appealing models.  Jerry Michels

Tony Thompson

Jerry Michels  wrote:

Unless there is a reason to reproduce a fleet of freight cars, reefers included, in their as-delivered scheme, the base color is not terribly important.  A spectrum of color representing the effects of weathering produces much more appealing models.

As a general statement about modeling, Jerry, I am in full agreement. But for PFE, since they washed cars frequently, I think the statement needs adjustment. Starting with the “right’ color seems to me a good idea for PFE, though less important for many car owners.

.Tony Thompson

Jerry Michels

No argument here Tony, but I watched a lot of reefer blocks coming through Laramie, and the shades of color were pretty broad. Although PFE frequently washed their cars, the timeline is important.  A reefer block consisting of a number of smaller blocks gathered from over the system and then high balled to Chicago would show a lot of variation.  I expect it would be even more pronounced as the cars returned.  Nothing like Chicago rain, Wyoming blizzards, and California sun to have their effect.  I agree also that other companies were not as meticulous; ART being a good example.

Off the subject, but after I wrote the MP caboose book, I got similar questions about what color to paint an MP caboose.  My answer is attached..

Jerry