Three Old SP Boxcars (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Courtesy of Claus Schlund:

https://oregondigital.org/catalog/oregondigital:qv33rx08r

Description:

“Loading two-foot bolts for railroad boiler at Comstock.”

Related logging terms:

Bole: The main stem of a tree. Bolt: A short portion of the stem, usually measuring 4 feet.

Taken in Oregon.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

The photo description says 2' bolts. Being this is a lumber train in Oregon, I suspect shingle bolts, for making wood shingles. Most likely cedar.

Doug Harding
Youtube: Douglas Harding Iowa Central Railroad

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 12:36 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Courtesy of Claus Schlund:

https://oregondigital.org/catalog/oregondigital:qv33rx08r

Description:

“Loading two-foot bolts for railroad boiler at Comstock.”

Related logging terms:

Bole: The main stem of a tree. Bolt: A short portion of the stem, usually measuring 4 feet.

Taken in Oregon.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nolan Hinshaw

On May 31, 2022, at 13:11, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

The photo description says 2' bolts. Being this is a lumber train in Oregon, I suspect shingle bolts, for making wood shingles. Most likely cedar.
It's most likely Thuja plicata, the PNW endemic cedar. Note the genus - not cedrus, but the same family - a cousin, as it were to the so-called "true" cedars. California incense cedar (calcocedrus decurrens, reclassified from Libocedrus behind my back several decades ago) is a similar cousin, and just as delightful.

As far as I can tell they're still commercially-viable species and form non-trivial proportions of the rail-born lumber traffic in the US.
--
Little Willie from the mirror sucked the mercury all off
Thinking in his childish error it would cure his whooping cought.
At the funeral Willie's mother said to Mrs. Brown,
"Twas a chilly day for Willie when the mercury went down.