From: Benjamin Hom
Sent: Feb 7, 2019 8:27 AM
To: STMFC
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: MDC "Old Timer" Freight Cars II

Model Die Casting ad, March 1969 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Garth Groff

Friends,

I suppose we all had one or two of these. They were interesting looking cars. Of course that huge underframe, needed to give at least a modest hope the car would stay on the track, was a big detraction. I made a new narrow underframe for mine and stuck some Kadee narrow gauge trucks under it. No prototype, but I wasn't modeling a prototype line. The fictional Salida & Lower Park's management was quite happy with their one tank car.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/7/19 9:39 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:
Interesting to note that a basic inflation calculator would project this $3.25 model to cost about $23.00 fifty years later.

Steve Hile

From: mopacfirst
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 07:58:49 PST

I built one at the time, still have it.  Has nice Kemtron or somebody trucks.  One curious thing is that the Champ decals mostly curled up or separated from the car body,  only one I ever saw that happen to.  (I still have about fifty of my other freight cars from that era, with Kadee 5 couplers and only one color of boxcar red, but they're in a box.)

I assume it was inadequate surface prep.  I'm half tempted to strip this thing and repaint it, but the underframe is holding me back.  I know there are some 3D printed ones, but I can't find the source at the moment.

Ron Merrick

Check this out on shapeways

There are walkways offered as well.
Contact the seller for instructions.

Howard Garner

mopacfirst

I know why I didn't see that thing before - the tags aren't set up for filtering.  I knew that from previous exploration, should have looked further.

Ron Merrick

Chuck Soule

Regarding the MDC diner in the ad, I have not done a comparison to drawings, but it appears to be very close the the Northern Pacific diner from the initial North Coast Limited in 1900.  In comparing the model to photos in Some Classic Trains,  the only difference appears to be placement of a small window in the galley area.  The other windows all appear to match the NP diner.

Chuck Soule