Topics

Tichy GSC Flatcar

StephenK

I picked up one of these kits back in the days when you could go to a train show.    After a bit of study, I decided to use it to model a worn UP flat (http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up59588k.jpg).   I put grooves in the deck (which is pretty poor as it comes) painted decaled and assembled.    Turns out the car is riding very high--the whole body is about 9" high.  Has anybody had this problem?    The kit is very simple--it doesn't seem possible to screw it up (there aren't even any brake parts included, just the one-piece body, a weight and an underframe).

Steve Kay

Benjamin Hom

Steve Kay wrote:
"I picked up one of these kits back in the days when you could go to a train show.    After a bit of study, I decided to use it to model a worn UP flat (http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up59588k.jpg).   I put grooves in the deck (which is pretty poor as it comes) painted decaled and assembled.    Turns out the car is riding very high--the whole body is about 9" high.  Has anybody had this problem?    The kit is very simple--it doesn't seem possible to screw it up (there aren't even any brake parts included, just the one-piece body, a weight and an underframe)."

While the model (photo from the Tichy website) does appear to ride a bit high compared to the prototype photo, likely as a concession to sharper model railroad curves, 9 inches sounds excessive.

Double check your trucks - not all model trucks conform to the NMRA RP, so if you get a pair on the high side, it'll directly affect the car height.

Ben Hom

Eric Hansmann

I built a couple of these shortly after they were released. I found the same issue. The problem is the car weight thickness. Don’t use it. Install the underframe without that weight then fill space with your favorite weighing material for smaller spaces.

Hopefully the weight isn’t glued in place with super-strong adhesive.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

I picked up one of these kits back in the days when you could go to a train show.    After a bit of study, I decided to use it to model a worn UP flat (http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up59588k.jpg).   I put grooves in the deck (which is pretty poor as it comes) painted decaled and assembled.    Turns out the car is riding very high--the whole body is about 9" high.  Has anybody had this problem?    The kit is very simple--it doesn't seem possible to screw it up (there aren't even any brake parts included, just the one-piece body, a weight and an underframe).

Steve Kay

Kenneth Montero

I replaced the Tichy trucks with sprung Bowser trucks, and it raised the coupler height. I don't know what would have happened if I used the Tichy trucks that came with the kit.

I ended up using Kadee couplers with an overset shank to lower the coupler head to the appropriate height above the tracks.

Ken Montero

On 10/14/2020 3:00 PM StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:

I picked up one of these kits back in the days when you could go to a train show.    After a bit of study, I decided to use it to model a worn UP flat ( http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/up/up59588k.jpg).   I put grooves in the deck (which is pretty poor as it comes) painted decaled and assembled.    Turns out the car is riding very high--the whole body is about 9" high.  Has anybody had this problem?    The kit is very simple--it doesn't seem possible to screw it up (there aren't even any brake parts included, just the one-piece body, a weight and an underframe).

Steve Kay

WILLIAM PARDIE

Are we talking about the same GSC Union Pacific flat car thar Exactarail produced an excellent model of?  What is the designation (F-??-?) of the car in question?

Bill Pardie.

[...]

George Eichelberger

I’ve had a number of projects “go bad” because I assumed the coupler height would be correct but discovered it to be wrong after too many details had been finished to do a major re-work on the underframe. If possible, I try to locate a drawing giving me dimensions to check earlty in the process.

Here is a part of a GSC flat car drawing from the SRHA archives… (measurements are always from top of rail). I have not checked the Tichy (PRR?) version against drawings but the Walthers car issued a number of years ago is nearly perfect.

Ike

Brian Carlson

This is one of those weird times when the Walthers car captures the look of the GSC prototype better. The tichy car molding is too sharp for a casting imho. I was going to do a Pennsy car at one time, but something stopped me.  I don’t recall what that was currently.

Removing the tichy weight works as Eric noted.

Brian J. Carlson

On Oct 15, 2020, at 10:32 AM, George Eichelberger <geichelberger@...> wrote:

I’ve had a number of projects “go bad” because I assumed the coupler height would be correct but discovered it to be wrong after too many details had been finished to do a major re-work on the underframe. If possible, I try to locate a drawing giving me dimensions to check earlty in the process.

Here is a part of a GSC flat car drawing from the SRHA archives… (measurements are always from top of rail). I have not checked the Tichy (PRR?) version against drawings but the Walthers car issued a number of years ago is nearly perfect.

Ike

<GSC flat end measurements.jpg>

Steve and Barb Hile

Didn’t the initial Tichy molding have the brake wheel on the wrong side of the end sill?

Steve Hile

[...]

Tom Madden

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 09:52 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Didn’t the initial Tichy molding have the brake wheel on the wrong side of the end sill?

No, that was Walthers.

Tom Madden

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tom and friends,

Walthers must have fixed it. I have two of their examples, and both have the brake staff in the right place.

I particularly like the Walthers cars' separate deck pieces. It made painting the deck and weathering the flush metal parts much easier. Today I would probably replace the plastic deck pieces with real wood, but I think what I accomplished on my two cars are among the best flatcar decks I've ever done regardless of materials.

Maybe someday I will get around to putting the Southern decals on the back side of one of my cars. (Sigh!) This project got interrupted when I was ill.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 11:55 AM Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 09:52 AM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:

Didn’t the initial Tichy molding have the brake wheel on the wrong side of the end sill?

No, that was Walthers.

Tom Madden

mopacfirst

Didn't see that brake shaft discrepancy, but I still have a couple of the unbuilt Walthers kits.  I assume I will build a couple more in the not-too-distant future since they are again the best choice for a 53' or so cast steel flat, after I bought all the Exactrail and Tangent ones that would fit my era and locale.

Ron Merrick

Tom Madden

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Tom and friends,

Walthers must have fixed it.
They did - and pretty quickly. Should have kept my one example.

Tom Madden

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tom,

Well, maybe for something else, but personally I would have fixed the problem myself rather than hang on to a car that was obviously designed wrong.

OTOH, I still have a pristine but empty can of Kroger's instant coffee marked "Viennese Chocolate", subtitled "Swiss Style Flavored Instant Coffee." The Kroger people fixed this gaff pretty quickly, and my empty can might be the last one like this in the world, outside of their archives. I think I should see if the Smithsonian would be interested. Or maybe I could get rich putting up for auction on eBay.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 12:12 PM Tom Madden via groups.io <pullmanboss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Tom and friends,

Walthers must have fixed it.
They did - and pretty quickly. Should have kept my one example.

Tom Madden

Tony Thompson

Brian Carlsonwrote:

This is one of those weird times when the Walthers car captures the look of the GSC prototype better.

     I agree, and used an upgraded Walthers body to do a Santa Fe car.

Tony Thompson

StephenK

Thanks to all for the input.   I removed the weight and the car rides much lower, but still not quite right.   I will try a few different trucks and, if necessary, file the bolster down to get the car to ride at the proper height.

And I agree with Tony regarding the Walthers kit.   It is a better model, and the separate deck parts make it easier to paint.    The Tichy deck is really pretty poor--I used a square and X-Acto knife to carve new "boards."  The result was good, but carving and painting the deck (especially the small wood "inserts" at the ends) was a hassle.

Anyway, I am on my way to completion of this project...

Steve Kay