Topics

Tichy's USRA SS Rebuilt P&LE ~ PMcKY 40 foot box

Greg Martin

Hey Yuze Gize,

I believe some years ago we may have discussed this car but I couldn't find it in the archives. I was wondering, out of the box how correct this car is? I realize there is always room for improvement.

 My passion for rebuilt single and double sheathed cars of all railroads that were rebuilt from the mid 1930's thru the early 1950's reminds me that I really should include this in with all the rebuilt cars I have collected/modeled.

I am just wondering if the Tichy car is accurate? Anyone ever analyze this car and can you give me some pointers? I am thinking it has good bones...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

Benjamin Scanlon

You may try April 1992 and July 1993 Railmodel Journal on the Trainlife site where these cars are dealt with by one Lofton and one Hendrickson, respectively.

regards,

Ben Scanlon

Tottenham Hale, England

Benjamin Hom

Greg Martin asked:
"I believe some years ago we may have discussed this car but I couldn't find it in the archives. I was wondering, out of the box how correct this car is? I realize there is always room for improvement."

The car is accurate out of the box (but YMMV - see below) - the issue is that the prototype it models, like many other injection molded New York Central boxcars on the market, is a minority not representative of far more common cars.  In this case, the Tichy model only represents a total of 492 cars (Lots 630-B and 638-B), compared to 3833 cars (Lots 654-B, 657-B, 664-B).

I point out YMMV as Ted Culotta wasn't satisfied with the kit out of the box, and replaced the roof among other modifications.  See the October 2006 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more information.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

I wrote:
"In this case, the Tichy model only represents a total of 492 cars (Lots 630-B and 638-B), compared to 3833 cars (Lots 654-B, 657-B, 664-B)."

So to complete the thought, 3833 cars (Lots 654-B, 657-B, 664-B) as represented by Sunshine 64.3.
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun64a.pdf

This is just one example - nobody has done (or shared) a truly comprehensive analysis of the NYC freight car fleet to truly identify gaps in available models.

Ben Hom

Jeff Pellas <jppellas@...>

Ben,
     Coincidentally I am currently building one of those Ticky boxcar kits. Just finished the brake system but I have not addressed the sides, ends or roof (no, it's not the order of construction the directions call for). The prototype car is mentioned along with a brief history (and a photograph) in the book "Freight Equipment of the New York Central: Volume 1" published by "The Railroad Press." The photo in this book is a side view with no shots of the roof at all. The talk about the roof needing modification interests me. Any photos available showing the roof detail?

Jeff
jppellas@...

"In this case, the Tichy model only represents a total of 492 cars (Lots 630-B
and 638-B), compared to 3833 cars (Lots 654-B, 657-B, 664-B)."

So to complete the thought, 3833 cars (Lots 654-B, 657-B, 664-B) as represented
by Sunshine 64.3.
http://www.sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun64a.pdf

This is just one example - nobody has done (or shared) a truly comprehensive
analysis of the NYC freight car fleet to truly identify gaps in available
models.

Ben Hom

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    STMFC-digest@...
    STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Larry Kline

Greg,

The Tichy model is an accurate model of these cars. The only change I would suggest is a vertical staff hand brake wheel. These cars were built with vertical staff hand brake wheels and all of the photos I have, including 1950s and later photos show vertical staff hand brake wheels.

Most of these cars were remarked with P&LE reporting marks soon after they were rebuilt.

There is also an article by Robert Smith in the July 1988 issue of Mainline Modeler with photos of two of these cars that sat in College PA for years.

I will send you offline a copy of the pages on these cars from the P&LE Historical Society Magazine "The Little Giant," Vol. 4 Nos. 2-4. This 76 page issue covers P&LE boxcars from 1910 to 1975. Its still available for $13.90 plus $4.00 shipping from the Society at P&LERRHS, PO Box 15512, Pittsburgh, PA 15244. (plus 6% sales tax for PA residents, 7% sales tax for Allegheny Co. residents)

Larry Kline

Larry Kline

I forgot to say that these cars apparently kept their Andrews trucks so I would also replace the kit trucks with Andrews trucks.

Larry Kline

WILLIAM PARDIE

This probably falls within this thread.  Has anyone completed this kit using the Sunshine Wabash mini kit.
If so, what refinements have you made?

Bill Pardie

On Mar 2, 2014, at 5:24 AM, Larry Kline wrote:

[...]

An additional thought on Ted's treatment of the Tichy P&LE car in the RMC article.  Ted's
improvements have been mase vastlyeasier with the subsequent introduction of Archer
rivits.

Bill Pardie

On Mar 2, 2014, at 7:34 AM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:

[...]

greg snook

Good evening,
While preparing for the upcoming PRRPRO group's X26/X26C project, I found two Tichy USRA cars, the original single sheathed kit and a "normal" rebuilt car that I purchased as part of a group of Westerfield cars I purchased, and then forgot about.
Is there a good source for back issues of RMC, specifically the article on the P&LE cars mentioned ago (a long time ago)?  The article mentioned below appears to be beyond the timeline of back issues offered on their website.  I attempted a few google searches, but no luck there either.

Thanks much for any thoughts,
Greg Snook

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Greg,

Check "Rebuilt 40-foot USRA Box Cars" by Richard Hendrickson in the July 1993 RMJ. It is a general article, but Richard's main car is the P&LE.

There is another article by Martin Loftin, "USRA 40-foot Box Cars, Part II, the Rebuilt Single-Sheathed Cars" in the April 1992 RMJ.

Finally, I have Bob Hundman's "USRA Rebuild, Part II, Single-Sheathed" in the July 1988 MM. This has some very good photos of the P&LE cars, but the drawing is of a DT&I car.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/3/16 9:37 PM, gregsnook@... [STMFC] wrote:

Good evening,

While preparing for the upcoming PRRPRO group's X26/X26C project, I found two Tichy USRA cars, the original single sheathed kit and a "normal" rebuilt car that I purchased as part of a group of Westerfield cars I purchased, and then forgot about.
Is there a good source for back issues of RMC, specifically the article on the P&LE cars mentioned ago (a long time ago)?  The article mentioned below appears to be beyond the timeline of back issues offered on their website.  I attempted a few google searches, but no luck there either.

Thanks much for any thoughts,
Greg Snook

golden1014

Hi Greg,

I am finishing up one of the Tichy "rebuilt" cars this month.  I can send you a copy of the article that appeared in The Little Giant (provided by Larry Kline before his passing--thanks Larry) and some prototype photos so you can get going on your project.  E-mail me at Golden1014@...

For your reference, there are also good prototype photos in Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia (USRA SS cars issue, I believe), and there is an excellent prototype/modeling article in RMC's Essential Freight Car series published about ten years ago.

John

John Golden

Albersbach, Germany

paul.doggett2472 <paul.doggett2472@...>

I have just built a pair of P&LE rebuilt cars contact me off group if you want photos of what i have done.
Paul Doggett UK

Sent from Samsung mobile

"gregsnook@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Good evening,

While preparing for the upcoming PRRPRO group's X26/X26C project, I found two Tichy USRA cars, the original single sheathed kit and a "normal" rebuilt car that I purchased as part of a group of Westerfield cars I purchased, and then forgot about.
Is there a good source for back issues of RMC, specifically the article on the P&LE cars mentioned ago (a long time ago)?  The article mentioned below appears to be beyond the timeline of back issues offered on their website.  I attempted a few google searches, but no luck there either.

Thanks much for any thoughts,
Greg Snook

greg snook

Thanks, I certainly will!

It appears Yahoo cut off the older message I was replying to, but the original message mentioned the article in the Essential Freight Car series.  That was lost in my message which didn't copy the older message.  I don't have that article, and don't know if there is a source for those online or elsewhere?

Paul, thank you as well, I have seen your pictures on the resin car list, they are very impressive!

I appreciate the responses,
Greg

Benjamin Hom

Greg Snook asked:
"It appears Yahoo cut off the older message I was replying to, but the original message mentioned the article in the Essential Freight Car series. That was lost in my message which didn't copy the older message. I don't have that article, and don't know if there is a source for those online or elsewhere?"

This one's a bit of a curveball as the model was covered in Ted's article on the USRA SS Boxcars in the July 2004 issue of RMC, so it wouldn't have jumped out in the Essential Freight Car article lists in the group files section.

Railpub is showing the issue in stock for $3 plus postage.

Ben Hom

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

The July 2004 RMC has the "Essential Freight Car" article on the USRA 50 ton SS boxcars.  There is a part dealing with the PMcKY rebuilds.

Regards----Mike Schleigh, Grove City, Penna.

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:27 AM, "Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Greg Snook asked:
"It appears Yahoo cut off the older message I was replying to, but the original message mentioned the article in the Essential Freight Car series. That was lost in my message which didn't copy the older message. I don't have that article, and don't know if there is a source for those online or elsewhere?"

This one's a bit of a curveball as the model was covered in Ted's article on the USRA SS Boxcars in the July 2004 issue of RMC, so it wouldn't have jumped out in the Essential Freight Car article lists in the group files section.

Railpub is showing the issue in stock for $3 plus postage.

Ben Hom

Robert kirkham

How good/accurate are the Tichy decals in the kit? I model 1946.

Rob Kirkham

paul.doggett2472 <paul.doggett2472@...>

They are pretty good i have just built two there around 80 #78/79holes to be drilled. Photos attached.

Paul Doggett UK

Sent from Samsung mobile"Robert Kirkham rdkirkham@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:How good/accurate are the Tichy decals in the kit? I model 1946.

Rob Kirkham

Benjamin Hom

Rob Kirkham asked:
"How good/accurate are the Tichy decals in the kit? I model 1946."

Usable but kind of middling. There are better options available. The best option is Speedwitch D107, which will not only letter this car but also a fleet of NYCS 40 ft steel boxcars:
http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/d107-new-york-central-system-40-steel-box-cars/

C-D-S HO-762 also letters this car if you can find it.

Ben Hom

Ken Adams

Having acquired one of the Tichy USRA SS Rebuilt P&LE box car kits, I found the Speedwitch D107 is no longer available. I really like the Speedwitch decals. Is there an alternative. The Tichy decals I have used in the past are too thick.
--
Ken Adams