Topics

Tichy USRA boxcar underframes

Dave Parker

Bruce:

That's interesting.  Is the UF the same as in some other Tichy model, thus representing some economy in tooling?

The good news is that I can't see any flaws looking at the side-sills.  If I have to crawl under the car to see the error, I can probably live with it.  It's why I stopped installing train-lines.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

steve_wintner

Bruce, elaborate  please. I assume this the USRA single sheathed car?

Ted Culotta

Hi Bruce,

Please educate me because I don't see the uproar. Yes, the crossmember should all face one end on one side and the other end on the other side, but the guts are there - two crossbearers and five sets of crossties. One nit (that I noticed beforehand, thankfully) is that the train pipe should pass through the crossties.

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

Benjamin Hom

Bruce Smith asked:
"Shouldn't a USRA undergrad have a deep fishbelly center sill? The Tichy is straight."

Yes for the DS car, but the SS cars have straight center sills.  They are not the same.

Ben Hom

Bruce Smith

Ben,

Oops, Got it! I'll be deleting my original comment now 😉

Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 7:15 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tichy USRA boxcar underframes

Bruce Smith asked:
"Shouldn't a USRA undergrad have a deep fishbelly center sill? The Tichy is straight."

Yes for the DS car, but the SS cars have straight center sills.  They are not the same.

Ben Hom

Brian Carlson

Have you been sampling beverages again 🤣

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jun 3, 2020, at 8:40 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Ben,

Oops, Got it! I'll be deleting my original comment now 😉

Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 7:15 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tichy USRA boxcar underframes

Bruce Smith asked:

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Byron Rose knew - The underframe that came with the Sunshine SP B-50-12A (USRA rebuild) had a bogus
underframe too, which Byron meticulously altered so that the model was completely correct. He didn't paint the
model when he finished, so all the modifications, additions etc in various materials really stood out.

On 6/3/2020 2:29 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
What a Tuesday!  I just cam to the horrifying realization that the Tichy USRA boxcar under frame is completely NOT a USRA under frame! Now some of have known this I am sure, but I can only find a single mention of it in the archives. All this time, we have worried about the lack of rivets tying the ends to the sides, when everything below the side sills is complete and utter manure? We even did this kit in the old Virtual Modelers group and I don't remember this issue ever coming up...

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts