Topics

Train-Master vs. Train-Miniature

Lester Breuer

Wondering if someone has information as to why the two names?
Lester Breuer

Douglas Harding

Les here is a history that involves a lot of name changes, and no doubt change of owners as well. Found at http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/258610.aspx

Started out as Tru-Scale Models freight and building kit line....

Then became Silver-Streak Models Plastic Line....

On to becoming Train Master of San Diego....

Next for the longest run as Train Miniature of La Mesa...

Moving to Illinois, they became Train Miniature of Illinois....

Ending as Wm. K. Walthers Company of Milwaukee...

The Walthers 50'0" Airslide kit tooling was cut by TMofI, before they went under....

TMofI did the tooling for a least one Weaver Models O Scale Car Kit....

TM announced in later 1971 that both a powered and dummy Fairbanks Morse H-16-44 would be released in 1972..... Was released by Willie K. some years later

TM 50'0" 1 1/2 XM was annnounced for release in May 1972....Did the tooling ever exist??????

TM for the years that the glass window packaging was used had a 36 single dome tank car drawing....Tooling was cut...but never released...until Willie K. did some years later...

TM did indeed cut tooling and did produce a very limited number of the 42'0" drop bottom gondola... A new product announcement did appear in MR, with a photograph of the undec model....

TMofI had injected molded kit boxes, that were not tall enough to contain assembled high car kits.....

Then switched to cheap carboard boxes, the paper thickness being the rolls for paper towels....

A interesting company (s).....

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Wondering if someone has information as to why the two names?
Lester Breuer

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

I have heard that Fairbanks-Morse, which had a trademark on "Train Master" objected to the model railroad name. Maybe this is a myth, but that sort of thing is common now with UP and CSX especially demanding a license to use their heralds and other marks on commercial models.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Townsend

I think much of this is really just a summary of who owned some of the tooling at various times, not a summary of corporate changes.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Wondering if someone has information as to why the two names?
Lester Breuer

Steven D Johnson

Lester, if I recall correctly, HO Collector magazine ran an article on that very subject.  I cannot find that issue at the moment to access that article.  Maybe someone else in this group can locate that issue.

Steve Johnson