Topics

Train Shed Cyclopedias

thompson@...

Surely you could sell enough of those amongst us purists
to make a profit from it?
I'm watching this thread alertly to see intereste level and if there are
any authors out there. Hardly any books materialize just cuz someone wants
'em.

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

Okay, I'll stand corrected. So the implication here is that this is *NOT*
an intractable problem, and it should be possible to create such a beast.

Perhaps we should start a clamor for these booklets?

On Jan 11, 3:41pm, Richard Hendrickson wrote:
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Train Shed Cyclopedias
I don't know anything about military modeling or equipment, so let me
know
if my assumptions are off-base.

Isn't the magnitude of the problem much different between military
equipment (armor, aircraft, ships) and freight cars. I mean, for a
given
piece of armor, how many paint schemes were there? Three or four? Now
take, for example, a PS-1. Now we're talking about a LOT of paint
schemes. And what, 12 (or more?) different variations.
Hello? Earth to Jeff. I'm no expert on armor, but I do know a good bit
about aircraft, and I can assure you that there were endless variations
on
equipment,paint, insignia, etc. even on relatively low production
aircraft,
not to mention planes that were built by the thousands like the P-51,
B-25,
B-17, etc. Documenting the variations on PS-1s would be child's play
compared to doing the same for, say, Curtiss P-40s, which had
twenty-some
major production variants, were used by many allied air forces, and
appeared in so many paint schemes that it's a monumental task to
document
even the ones for which photographic and other evidence survives.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

-- End of excerpt from Richard Hendrickson

--
Jeff Aley, Development Engineer jaley@...
Graphics Components Division

ibs4421@...

So right Tony. Somebody's going to have to pony up the bucks. I'm sure you
know this as well as anybody. It did seem to me, however, in looking at
issues of RMC and MR that there seems to be a lot more money changing hands,
and available out there in model rr'ing land than there is in scale plastic
model land. Obviously somebody is spending the big bucks on some of the
many, many books being published out there. There's a whole new crop of
books it seems every month. Well, it was just a thought. I'm a danger to
myself and others at times when I get to thinking. I sure didn't mean for
the thread to take off into parts unknown.

Warren Dickinson

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

From: Richard Hendrickson [mailto:rhendrickson@...]
Dave Nelson wrote (about Branchline's "big goof):

They used a drawing from Mainline Modeler than was incorrect so their 40'
car became 41'+ long. It's been withdrawn from the market and perhaps
someday will be retooled.
I understand it already has been retooled. BL's big problem is not enough
molding machine output, so they've got a backlog of tooling for
models they can't get into production.

Whoa - great news! They deserve a lot of credit for fixing it so soon. I
suppose the next question is whether they'll pay for their own mistake or,
like Intermountain, fob it off on the consumer.

Dave Nelson
-still offended by Intermountains 20-25% surcharge for what could of and
should of been done right the first time.

byronrose@...

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:05:38 -0800 "Dave & Libby Nelson"
<muskoka@...> writes:
Dave Nelson
-still offended by Intermountains 20-25% surcharge for what could of
and
should of been done right the first time.
Or at least the second time or at the very worst the third. I just heard
that it took recutting the roof five, count 'em, five times to get it
right. At least they did get it right on that fifth try. I'm still not
sure about the ends or the lettering.

Before you start ringing my email off the hook, I'll tell you:

The overlap joint on the face of the ends looks like someone in hip
boots. Instead of a looong taper, they hid the return in the edges of
the next above rib. And I think the ribs start too close to the top of
the ends: not enough room to get the lettering in comfortably. But on
three of the four kits I got the end lettering was all over the place.
Only one kit was worth building. I'll soon find out how well they stand
behind their guarantee.

Also, don't even try to install the grossly oversize retainer valve line
(.006" scale vs .018" model), 'taint worth the effort and disappears
anyway. Also be careful of gluing the floor to the car body, the locater
pin may set it unaligned with the car sub-ends. And that's as far as
I've gotten.

Don't thank me, it's all in a days work.

BSR
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.