Topics

Trainlife downloads was Car ID just for fun

John Monrad

If you know which issue of RMJ, MRding, or ProtoModeler you want to download, type in

http://magazine.trainlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/abc_yyyymm.pdf

where abc =
  rmj = Railmodel Journal
  mrr = Model Railroading
  prt = Prototype Modeler

and yyyymm is the month and year of the desired issue  For example,

http://magazine.trainlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/rmj_199007.pdf

will download the August 1990 issue of Railmodel Journal.

John Monrad

Richard Remiarz

I spent a good part of last night downloading various issues based on these URLs.  You can find all of the Railmodel Journals, 10 years of Model Railroading (1987-1996), but only a small number of Prototype Modelers (1984-1985).  Based on the format of the URL, I am guessing that these files were uploaded on August of 2017.  There is probably another location that contains other issues that were uploaded at a different time.  I have tried varying the 08 to different months with no luck.

Sincerely,

Rich Remiarz

Vadnais Heights, MN

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you know which issue of RMJ, MRding, or ProtoModeler you want to download, type in

http://magazine.trainlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/abc_yyyymm.pdf

where abc =
  rmj = Railmodel Journal
  mrr = Model Railroading
  prt = Prototype Modeler

and yyyymm is the month and year of the desired issue  For example,

http://magazine.trainlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/rmj_199007.pdf

will download the August 1990 issue of Railmodel Journal.

John Monrad

Ed Shoben

Actually, using “ptm”, I was able to download all six issues of the 1989 Prototype Modeler.  Hope this helps.  -Ed

Josh

With the subject of this thread, and the question asked in the root thread about downloading, I should probably provide some context.

TrainLife purchased the licensing from the copyright owners, which except in a few cases of the oldest of the old issues, are either still alive as individuals or still functioning as active registered companies even if they are no longer printing. The majority of these licenses did not allow distribution - only display. Hence, TrainLife does not allow the issues to be downloaded officially from their website.

Legally, your workaround shouldn't have any problems as long as said downloads are used for personal, private, non-distributive and non-commercial use. However, they cannot be uploaded or hosted to another site - and if that were to happen, say, if somebody were to create their own "backup" on this server or their own site after downloading the content from TrainLife using the url backdoor, it can run into some serious complaints if the owners/publishers find out, so please don't do that.

Tim O'Connor

Sweet!! And these are NOT judge image files - the pages were read with OCR so you can search for any
word or phrase in the PDF to find exactly what you want!

On 12/1/2020 1:25 PM, Ed Shoben wrote:

Actually, using “ptm”, I was able to download all six issues of the 1989 Prototype Modeler.  Hope this helps.  -Ed

_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts