Topics

Troop Sleepers

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you might have information regarding WWII era
Troop Sleepers and Kitchen cars manufactured by Pullman and ACF
respectively. I have seen the available info at the Cannonball site
(selling HO kits) and the NEB&W site. I am particularly looking for
diagrams of the underside of the car to locate steam and brake lines.

I am told a troop sleeper resides at the B&O musuem in Baltimore (Their web
site is next to useless) - anyone have photographs?

I know that the Southeastern R museum in Duluth Ga (atlanta) has a Kitchen
car - I have photos and will be back there soon to craawl all over that
sucker!

Any other information that you think might be helpful would be most welcome
- I'm building up a train of the Cannonball cars and am at the detailing
stage

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Ben Hom <bhom3@...>

Bruce, the latest Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia contains a
comprehensive and well-illustrated article on Troop Sleepers and
Kitchen Cars.

Ben Hom

ibs4421@...

Ben,
Is it possible toorder a copy of this publication? Thank you very
much.

Warren Dickinson

Bruce, the latest Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia contains a
comprehensive and well-illustrated article on Troop Sleepers and
Kitchen Cars.

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

If anyone has this, I'll be glad to post it on our site for future
reference. - John

[...]

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||

Ben wrote:

Bruce, the latest Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia contains a
comprehensive and well-illustrated article on Troop Sleepers and
Kitchen Cars.
Hi Ben

Great! Could you let me know how and where I might get this publication?

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

John,

You replied:
If anyone has this, I'll be glad to post it on our site for future
reference. - John
I'm a little foggy on what you meant? (I'm a little foggy PERIOD, but thats
another story!)...Were you referring to additional photos of the cars?

I can supply some info on the kitchen car. It is a 1944 ACF product and as
mentioned, it is at the Southeastern Railway Museum
(http://www.srmduluth.org/). The museum is located in Duluth, Georgia, a
suburb of Atlanta. It is owned and operated by the Atlanta Chapter,
National Railway Historical Society and is staffed completely with
volunteers. The car is painted in what I beleive to be a later US Army
scheme (as opposed to the original Pullman scheme), and I beleive that this
car was never modified fo alternative service and has its interior intact.
The car can be seen at: http://www.srmduluth.org/Exhibits/misc.htm

I will scan the photos I have of this car and create a photopoint site.
The staff at the site is really nice and when I asked, they seemed thrilled
that I would be interested in taking a really good look at their car.

BTW, the photo of Troop Sleeper #7040 on your site looks to be a "Phase I"
Pullman troop sleeper (as defined by Cannonball), which makes sense since
it is in the first number series (ie built in 1943). The Cannonball kit
most readily makes a phase II, but of course, I have to be difficult and
model the phase I variation! There are subtle variations like the side
sills that distinguish version...

Happy Rails

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Shawn Beckert

Guys,

For those of you wanting RPC #5 with the article on
troop sleepers, you can probably order right from
their website if you don't have a hobby shop nearby.

They're at: http://hometown.aol.com/rpcyc/rpcychome.html

Shawn Beckert

Ben Hom <bhom3@...>

Here's the s-mail address and ordering info:

RP Cyc Publishing Co.
PO Box 451
Chesterfield MO 63006-0451

Each issue is $20.95 post paid.

Ben Hom

byronrose@...

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:56:05 -0600 "Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D."
<smithbf@...> writes:
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you might have information regarding WWII
era
Troop Sleepers and Kitchen cars manufactured by Pullman and ACF
respectively. I have seen the available info at the Cannonball site
(selling HO kits) and the NEB&W site. I am particularly looking for
diagrams of the underside of the car to locate steam and brake
lines.
Bruce,

MR published a drawing of a Troop Sleeper converted to a service car
several years back. I don't have a copy handy for the date but I'm sure
it will surface via some kind soul. The drawings included an excellent
underbody view showing all the structural members and full brake rigging,
both AB sets worth. I'd say it was indispensable to your efforts.

There are more than several troop cars still in existence, at least that
I am aware of. One is at Union Bridge, Maryland, in the WM Hist Soc
collection, an almost virginal car with all its windows intact and riding
on AFC trucks. Another is closer to DC in a small station display along
with other freight and passenger cars and a small steam lokie. It is in
about the same condition as the WMHS car. And one at Illinois Ry Museum.

I am told a troop sleeper resides at the B&O musuem in Baltimore
(Their web
site is next to useless) - anyone have photographs?

I know that the Southeastern R museum in Duluth Ga (atlanta) has a
Kitchen
car - I have photos and will be back there soon to craawl all over
that sucker!
How about photos documenting the underframe structure and brake systems?

Any other information that you think might be helpful would be most
welcome
- I'm building up a train of the Cannonball cars and am at the
detailing stage

Happy Rails
Bruce
Bruce, if that's the same Cannonball kit I saw at Mitchells last fall,
why would you waste your time on it? The rivets look like flattened
grapefruit halves and the panel line are non existent. It's almost
criminal that someone capable of producing scale size rivets hasn't done
this car yet. Of course, that statement leaves InterMountain out,
doesn't it? But I have been hearing rumors that it will be produced by a
capable manufacturer in the not to distant future. Let's all hope.

Byron Rose
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

Byron,

MR published a drawing of a Troop Sleeper converted to a service car
several years back. I don't have a copy handy for the date but I'm sure
it will surface via some kind soul. The drawings included an excellent
underbody view showing all the structural members and full brake rigging,
both AB sets worth. I'd say it was indispensable to your efforts.
I found it last night...turns out my MR collection goes back that far!

There are more than several troop cars still in existence, at least that
I am aware of. One is at Union Bridge, Maryland, in the WM Hist Soc
collection, an almost virginal car with all its windows intact and riding
on AFC trucks. Another is closer to DC in a small station display along
with other freight and passenger cars and a small steam lokie. It is in
about the same condition as the WMHS car. And one at Illinois Ry Museum.
Thanks for the info! Anyone with photos of these - please post 'em!

How about photos documenting the underframe structure and brake systems?
I will - I already have several photos, but I did not have my flash that
day so they are all a little dark of the underbody detail. The steam lines
are far more intricate than on the troop sleeper in MR.

Bruce, if that's the same Cannonball kit I saw at Mitchells last fall,
why would you waste your time on it? The rivets look like flattened
grapefruit halves and the panel line are non existent. It's almost
criminal that someone capable of producing scale size rivets hasn't done
this car yet. Of course, that statement leaves InterMountain out,
doesn't it? But I have been hearing rumors that it will be produced by a
capable manufacturer in the not to distant future. Let's all hope.
Well, I thought that the cars were "reasonable" and a whole lot cheaper
than brass. Yeah, the rivets are about the size of cheeseburgers, but I
don't have time to scratchbuild those car sides right now...maybe I will in
a couple of years.

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Dick Harley <Dick.Harley@...>

For all of you looking for more Troop Sleepers to measure and photograph,
you should take a trip to Alaska. Besides having some of the most
awe-inspiring scenery I know, there must have been at least 50 troop
sleeper cars to be seen between Fairbanks and Anchorage on the Alaska RR
this past summer. There are many varieties, and they are used for all
kinds of things. If you want to see troop sleepers, go there. And the
ARR folks are very friendly too.

Regards,
Dick Harley

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Dick and friends,

While it might well be worth the trip to Alaska, and for more than just
troop sleepers, let me add that two of them from Alaska are in
California. They are in the collection of the Feather River Railroad
Society at Portola.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff