Tru-Color formula for Pennsylvania FCC circa 1940 - any advice?

Charlie Duckworth

I’m wrapping up building the Westerfield X23 and want to paint it in as the last major shopping was in the 1940’s.  I’ve found this excellent resource on PRR colors http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com/index.php/tpm/blogs/latest-articles-blog/121-paints-to-match-prr-paints
but Tru-Color isn’t listed (thinking they weren’t around when the list was compiled).

Anyone using Tru-Color that’s mixed up a PRR 1940’s color before I start experimenting?

thanks
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Nelson Moyer

Tru Color offers:

TCP-209-2

PRR 1945-60 Freight Car Brown

All of the PRR cars I’ve painted fall within those dates, so I used it for all of them. Disclaimer – I’m not a Pennsy modeler.

Nelson Moyer

I’m wrapping up building the Westerfield X23 and want to paint it in as the last major shopping was in the 1940’s.  I’ve found this excellent resource on PRR colors http://jbritton.pennsyrr.com/index.php/tpm/blogs/latest-articles-blog/121-paints-to-match-prr-paints
but Tru-Color isn’t listed (thinking they weren’t around when the list was compiled).

Anyone using Tru-Color that’s mixed up a PRR 1940’s color before I start experimenting?

thanks
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

I saw that color in their line  but I’m looking for a mix for the earlier color used before 1945.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Eric Hansmann

Charlie,

I don’t use Tru-Color but I can show what Pennsy Freight Car Color I use for my 1926 focus. I lean towards an orange shade like the GLa hoppers in this image.

I spray Vallejo Amaranth red from their Panzer Aces line.

I’ve rarely seen a new, or clean, Pennsy freight car in early photos. My Pennsy models all receive a liberal application in the weathering factory.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On May 29, 2022, at 2:54 PM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

I saw that color in their line  but I’m looking for a mix for the earlier color used before 1945.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Nelson Moyer

I make paint chips for every paint color I buy, and the closest colors to Eric’s hoppers in the Tru Color line are TCP-076 Rust and TCP-168 Iron Oxide. There is very little difference between these two colors, but after rust IS iron oxide. The rust is slightly lighter than the iron oxide, but either could be used without mixing or as the base for a mix to shift the shade.

Nelson Moyer

I don’t use Tru-Color but I can show what Pennsy Freight Car Color I use for my 1926 focus. I lean towards an orange shade like the GLa hoppers in this image.

I spray Vallejo Amaranth red from their Panzer Aces line.

I’ve rarely seen a new, or clean, Pennsy freight car in early photos. My Pennsy models all receive a liberal application in the weathering factory.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

On May 29, 2022, at 2:54 PM, Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...> wrote:

I saw that color in their line  but I’m looking for a mix for the earlier color used before 1945.
--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Charlie Duckworth

The X23 is still on the workbench; I’m working on the PE ladders and have a question about the underframe color.  Did the PRR use black car cement on the underframe or was it painted the same as the carbody?  Thanks

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Eric Hansmann

I don’t know the answer to your specific question, Charlie. I don’t recall reading anything about black underframes on Pennsy equipment of the pre-WW2 years.

I painted my X23 underframe the same color as the rest of the car.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

The X23 is still on the workbench; I’m working on the PE ladders and have a question about the underframe color.  Did the PRR use black car cement on the underframe or was it painted the same as the carbody?  Thanks

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Bruce Smith

Charlie,

PRR painted it FCC.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Charlie Duckworth <omahaduck@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 3:03 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

The X23 is still on the workbench; I’m working on the PE ladders and have a question about the underframe color.  Did the PRR use black car cement on the underframe or was it painted the same as the carbody?  Thanks

--
Charlie Duckworth
Omaha, Ne.

Scott

Charlie which photo etch ladders are you going to use?  I have two of those kits.  One is a dry ice reefer and the other the standard reefer like yours.

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Charlie Duckworth

Scott
I’m using the PE ladders that Westerfield makes for the X23.  He also makes a set for the R7 reefer.  The X23 set are five rungs whereas the R7 set is six rungs.