Topics

Truck Journal Conversions

Bob Chaparro

With respect to converting solid bearing trucks to roller bearings, I read, "Friction bearing truck sides were not designed for roller bearings and the truck sides cracked."

Any truth to this?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Randy Hees

It would likely depend on how it was done... In general, there was a new cast part to replace the wedge, which was designed to bear on the 'sjournal box and on the bearing.  Conversions on passengers cars replaced the journal box, which rode in the pedestal with a the roller bearing and a carrier casting on top...   It is not possible to replace the journal box in a cast side frame freight truck, so the roller bearing sits inside the journal box of the cast truck...  I remember seeing a lot of cast side frame freight trucks with a roller bearing inside in the 1970's (and the journal box cover removed... )

Randy Hees

brianleppert@att.net

Attached is a one page article from June 1947 Modern Railroads about Union Pacific converting solid bearing trucks to roller bearings .  Annealing the side frames was mentioned.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

StephenK

It seems to me that many moons ago MDC made an AAR-style truck with the journal box doors removed to represent a conversion to roller bearings.   I needed a pair for a project I did (a Conrail GSC depressed center flat car).  If I remember correctly, I found a pair on True-Line trains website and got them thru them.   They aren't there now though....

Steve Kay

Rich C

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 7:35:16 PM CST, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:

It seems to me that many moons ago MDC made an AAR-style truck with the journal box doors removed to represent a conversion to roller bearings.   I needed a pair for a project I did (a Conrail GSC depressed center flat car).  If I remember correctly, I found a pair on True-Line trains website and got them thru them.   They aren't there now though....

Steve Kay

Tim O'Connor

On 2/12/2019 9:04 PM, Rich C via Groups.Io wrote:

Steve Kay

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

John Hagen

I’m surprised that these weren’t more readily available before now.

Back in the late 80’s I bashed a model of the two Thrall steel bay window cabooses (613/113 & 614/114) bought by the Green Bay & Western.

These were purchased as kits and built at the Norwood shops. They used plain bearing trucks but did eventually change to converted trucks, at least on one of them. I used roller bearing trucks I converted by using plain bearing journals I cut off some trucks I had around. Then O drilled out the covers and filed the opening square. Then I had to remove a lot of material from the opening using files and dental tools to get them to fit around the roller bearing castings. I also had to do some filing around the base of the roller bearings but did not have to remove anything from any visible parts of the roller bearings.

Overall, they turned decent enough for who they were for (me). But it was a lot of work that had to be done 8 times!

Believe me if do another, something I’ve been wanting to do since I did the first, which was for a friend, I will use Rapido trucks.

John Hagen

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rich C via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:05 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Truck Journal Conversions

Steve, Rapido makes them

Rich Christie

HO Scale Freight Car Trucks - Rapido Trains Inc.

HO Scale Freight Car Trucks Rapido offers a variety of HO scale Freight car Trucks, all equipped with our own fr..

Steve Kay

Charlie Vlk

All-

I think this is the first time anyone in any scale has made these common trucks….sure wish somebody would do them in N Scale as well…hint, hint, wink, wink!!!
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 6:37 AM

largest image I could find -

https://www.rapidotrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Rapido-102061.jpg

On 2/12/2019 9:04 PM, Rich C via Groups.Io wrote:

Steve, Rapido makes them

Rich Christie

HO Scale Freight Car Trucks - Rapido Trains Inc.

HO Scale Freight Car Trucks Rapido offers a variety of HO scale Freight car Trucks, all equipped with our own fr...

Steve Kay

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

If you mean roller bearing conversion trucks, Eastern Car Works and Model Die Casting (Roundhouse) made them.

On 2/13/2019 6:00 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

All-

I think this is the first time anyone in any scale has made these common trucks….sure wish somebody would do them in N Scale as well…hint, hint, wink, wink!!!
Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 6:37 AM

largest image I could find -

https://www.rapidotrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Rapido-102061.jpg

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

W.R.Dixon

On 13/02/2019 10:09 a.m., John Hagen via Groups.Io wrote:
I’m surprised that these weren’t more readily available before now.
Trains Canada did them years ago. Was a truck with no journal lids so you could see the roller bearing inside. They came with plug in journal box covers if you didn't want the roller bearing conversion.

Central Hobbies in Vancouver, BC has many of them in stock.

Bill Dixon