Topics

truck screws for brass models

Tony Thompson

I recently had a request to repeat a description I had given in a talk at a conference, about how I had replaced the shouldered truck screws common on brass freight car models (and a ready source of operating problems). I decided to make it into a blog post, and the link is below if you're interested.

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2020/09/those-pesky-truck-screws-for-brass.html

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Mont Switzer

Tony,

I guess I did the same with my brass caboose fleet only I am probably a bit more "ham handed" in how I accomplished this.

First, I got rid of the brass trucks. I was able to find matching styrene trucks for each model, leaf springs where required and all. I equipped them with REBOXX wheel sets.

I drilled and threaded the truck mounting holes for 2-56 screws and added a washer if needed.

I found the old screw mounting system prone to the screws backing out. I usually found our when a train "left town" with the caboose following along on only one truck. When I went to the 2-56 screws I added a drop of gap filling ACC when installing them.

My brass cabooses and other cars no longer "derailment magnets." In fact their weight makes them quite reliable.

Mont Switzer

Mont Switzer wrote:

I guess I did the same with my brass caboose fleet only I am probably a bit more "ham handed" in how I accomplished this.
First, I got rid of the brass trucks. I was able to find matching styrene trucks for each model, leaf springs where required and all. I equipped them with REBOXX wheel sets.
I would guess a solid majority of my brass freight cars have been re-trucked -- a few of my commercial styrene cars also . . . not mentioning names.

I drilled and threaded the truck mounting holes for 2-56 screws and added a washer if needed.
As I mentioned, I have resorted to this on occasion too. Wish the brass importers cared more about us operators.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Mont Switzer

Tony,

Before anyone cringes about my "getting rid of" the brass trucks on my brass models, rest assured they are safely stashed in the original boxes. I guess I unknowingly am making it easier for those handling my estate.

Yep, I've re-trucked a few styrene models also, especially those with mounting "pins." I usually have to sleve those large holes with styrene tube stock, then drill and tap for 2-56 mounting screws.

Mont Switzer

[...]

Same here. I usually even put the shouldered screws and springs with the trucks.

Tony Thompson
tony@...