Topics

truck screws for brass models

Tony Thompson

I recently had a request to repeat a description I had given in a talk at a conference, about how I had replaced the shouldered truck screws common on brass freight car models (and a ready source of operating problems). I decided to make it into a blog post, and the link is below if you're interested.

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2020/09/those-pesky-truck-screws-for-brass.html

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Mont Switzer

Tony,

I guess I did the same with my brass caboose fleet only I am probably a bit more "ham handed" in how I accomplished this.

First, I got rid of the brass trucks. I was able to find matching styrene trucks for each model, leaf springs where required and all. I equipped them with REBOXX wheel sets.

I drilled and threaded the truck mounting holes for 2-56 screws and added a washer if needed.

I found the old screw mounting system prone to the screws backing out. I usually found our when a train "left town" with the caboose following along on only one truck. When I went to the 2-56 screws I added a drop of gap filling ACC when installing them.

My brass cabooses and other cars no longer "derailment magnets." In fact their weight makes them quite reliable.

Mont Switzer

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 2:06 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] truck screws for brass models

I recently had a request to repeat a description I had given in a talk at a conference, about how I had replaced the shouldered truck screws common on brass freight car models (and a ready source of operating problems). I decided to make it into a blog post, and the link is below if you're interested.

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2020/09/those-pesky-truck-screws-for-brass.html

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Tony Thompson

Mont Switzer wrote:

I guess I did the same with my brass caboose fleet only I am probably a bit more "ham handed" in how I accomplished this.
First, I got rid of the brass trucks. I was able to find matching styrene trucks for each model, leaf springs where required and all. I equipped them with REBOXX wheel sets.
I would guess a solid majority of my brass freight cars have been re-trucked -- a few of my commercial styrene cars also . . . not mentioning names.

I drilled and threaded the truck mounting holes for 2-56 screws and added a washer if needed.
As I mentioned, I have resorted to this on occasion too. Wish the brass importers cared more about us operators.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Mont Switzer

Tony,

Before anyone cringes about my "getting rid of" the brass trucks on my brass models, rest assured they are safely stashed in the original boxes. I guess I unknowingly am making it easier for those handling my estate.

Yep, I've re-trucked a few styrene models also, especially those with mounting "pins." I usually have to sleve those large holes with styrene tube stock, then drill and tap for 2-56 mounting screws.

Mont Switzer

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 8:25 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] truck screws for brass models

Mont Switzer wrote:

I would guess a solid majority of my brass freight cars have been re-trucked -- a few of my commercial styrene cars also . . . not mentioning names.

As I mentioned, I have resorted to this on occasion too. Wish the brass importers cared more about us operators.

Tony Thompson
tony@...

Tony Thompson

Before anyone cringes about my "getting rid of" the brass trucks on my brass models, rest assured they are safely stashed in the original boxes. I guess I unknowingly am making it easier for those handling my estate.
Same here. I usually even put the shouldered screws and springs with the trucks.

Tony Thompson
tony@...